Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my wife's new to her '17, 1200 Custom:
The seat is loose allowing side to side movement at the front of the seat. That plastic tongue that hooks under the fuel tank mount is plainly a sloppy fit! I put a few layers of black duct tape over the back fuel tank bolt and added a couple wraps around the front seat clip. It works although a cheesy, temporary fix.

She says: Every time she shifts gears, she has to pull herself forward on the seat. She said, at 55 mph, she has a death grip on the bars as the wind is trying to blow her off the bike, at 65 mph she's holding onto the bike by her nails! So I'm thinking she needs a windscreen and maybe a faring for the wind and more padding on the ridge of the seat to push and hold her more forward on the saddle. Or perhaps a good, well padded solo seat that will hold her more forward.

She can flat-foot both feet at a stop and has no problem reaching the forward controls, she likes the seat height and the amount of padding. on this stock seat.

I have been looking on-line at after market seats.. The websites all show many pictures of their products however, nearly all of the descriptions are useless.
I'm looking for suggestions that may help. TIA.

·
V-Twin Junkie
117 Posts
Why not build up the tongue with a few layers of plastic or fiberglass, epoxied on? The compression of the fitting should keep it pretty well solid, and it would be a cheap fix.

I have a stock seat from my 883 SuperLow, which you are welcome to have for the price of shipping. This would allow you to see first whether the seat from my bike fits better, and secondly, give you a seat to use while you work on the other one.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Stop by your local Harley-Davidson dealership and test out a couple seats - including a solo seat. They have a lot of demo seats available so you can try them out without having to purchase the seat first. It's amazing what a windshield can do for protection and for cutting down on wind fatigue.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why not build up the tongue with a few layers of plastic or fiberglass, epoxied on? The compression of the fitting should keep it pretty well solid, and it would be a cheap fix.

I have a stock seat from my 883 SuperLow, which you are welcome to have for the price of shipping. This would allow you to see first whether the seat from my bike fits better, and secondly, give you a seat to use while you work on the other one.
Thank you! That is a very kind offer, I love that idea! I'm thinking that the SuperLow solo seat is just what would fit the bill. i will discuss that with her and get back to you with her answer.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts

The 883 l seat will not fit the 1200c, without modification, the 1200c has a 4.5 gal tank thq 883 l has a3.3 gal tank, it hits the tank.

·
V-Twin Junkie
117 Posts
Thank you! That is a very kind offer, I love that idea! I'm thinking that the SuperLow solo seat is just what would fit the bill. i will discuss that with her and get back to you with her answer.
The stock seat on my SuperLow is a full seat, just sayin'. I'd be happy to send it your way, buddy. That's what we should all be about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts