Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2018 fatboy wore out both front and rear tires at 8,000 miles. now at 11,000 miles the front is already wore down to the wear bars on right half of front tire. running 36 psi in front and 40 psi in rear. anyone else having this issue? tires are too expensive to replace this soon and feel like something must be wrong.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Could be nothing more that tire pressure. My V-Rod would wear front tires on the left side with 36 PSI. I upped it to 38 PSI and problem went away.

My Road King prematurely wore the front tire on the right side when the Fall away adjustment was not correct. Check the Fall away adjustment before all else.

Tire wear can be effected by the type of road surfaces you ride on. Rough roads will cause more wear than smooth roads.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Never got more than 7500 miles on any rear tire on my Dyna, either the stock Dunlop or Avons. The front usually lasts twice that. I didn't see that to be a problem.
Perhaps my riding style is similar to yours.

·
Super Moderator
4,733 Posts
is the 2018 FB rear tire a 240 now? My rear break out tire is a 240 and 7000 miles on the rear is pretty standard. Front goes for about 14K though. I got the same results with Avon, Metzler and oem Dunlop.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Your bike would still be under warranty (Standard Harley-Davidson two-year warranty). I might consider bringing the bike back to the dealership to see if something is out of line, etc. But as others have said too . . . how you ride affects tire wear. Sounds like you were inflating the tires to the correct pressure.

·
On the loose
8,719 Posts
I run my tires at 40 / 40 , 2018 Fatboy would be the new Softail frame , I've heard that its a big improvement over the prior frame.

·
Try'n to behave
6,224 Posts
Never got more than 7500 miles on any rear tire on my Dyna, either the stock Dunlop or Avons. The front usually lasts twice that. I didn't see that to be a problem.
Perhaps my riding style is similar to yours.
That's not even two oil changes...whiskey Tango Foxtrot? :dunno

Hell, I'll have to change tires every few months. nono.gif

Reactions: sardonicus87

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2018 fatboy wore out both front and rear tires at 8,000 miles. now at 11,000 miles the front is already wore down to the wear bars on right half of front tire. running 36 psi in front and 40 psi in rear. anyone else having this issue? tires are too expensive to replace this soon and feel like something must be wrong.

Same problem, 2018 Fatboy purchased In Feb or March 2018. Front tire wore out on right side of tire, seated, at 5100 miles. Rear tire at 6900 miles thread showing. Having same problem with 3300 miles on front tire. Have 8400 miles on bike now. I suspect I will be replacing the front tire again next year for inspection. Don’t have an answer from a dealer except it is indicative of the style bike. 36 psi front, 42 rear, not worried about the rear cus I hoarse on it every chance I get but front tread loss is BS. I suspect their will be a recall. I will try inflation to 38 psi as suggested by another post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also, I am riding the 114 and I have the stock Scorcher tires with no upgrades yet to stage 1. Saddle bags and wind shield and I had to remove the weight in the left handlebar to install heated grips. Dealer said the weight should have no effect on tire wear. Maybe their are more right turns on PA roads than left turns...BS!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also changed my breaking pattern to see if it would help...it did not. I think the single front and opposite single rear brakes have a vast impact on the tire wear. I’m truly thinking a street glide CVO is the answer!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Replaced the front and rear at 3700 miles. The entire front tire on the right side was bald. The rear also showed signs on the right of excessive wear. I paid full price for the set $800.
The new tires wore out at +3000 miles later. Called Customer (we don't) Care. They agreed to pay for the front. $500 for the rear to be replaced.
I am now looking for a lawyer to go after Harley for my expenses on a $22000 bike that doesn't roll straight and burns off rubber.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
And we have another. Tell us the rest of the story.

Reactions: Kainam

·
Super Moderator
4,733 Posts
Reactions: JTJ and Kainam

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Lets see. The tires are wearing out in 3000+ miles and it's HD's fault. Look at that front tire and you can see the abrasions on the tire. A m/c isn't a car with camber and toe in, just 2 wheels in line so it isn't an alignment problem. To be honest I think we are being trolled. :pull

Reactions: Kainam and ematicic

·
Try'n to behave
6,224 Posts
Reactions: JTJ and Kainam
1 - 20 of 66 Posts