Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Retired citizen
24,161 Posts
What does him being a cop have to do with anything? :dunno

They train differently is why. The sidewalls of the tires in the pics say it all !

:devil

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2018 fatboy wore out both front and rear tires at 8,000 miles. now at 11,000 miles the front is already wore down to the wear bars on right half of front tire. running 36 psi in front and 40 psi in rear. anyone else having this issue? tires are too expensive to replace this soon and feel like something must be wrong.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your lucky I got 13500KM from new and next change 11500km. Wore severely on right hand side cause we ride on the left. Camber is the issue and the tyre is probably too wide. Looks good but not functional

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2018 fatboy wore out both front and rear tires at 8,000 miles. now at 11,000 miles the front is already wore down to the wear bars on right half of front tire. running 36 psi in front and 40 psi in rear. anyone else having this issue? tires are too expensive to replace this soon and feel like something must be wrong.
Joined the forum to say there's another one here.
My 2018 107 Fatboy has the same problem, I have just hit 6000klm and the front tire is just about down to the wear indicator on the right side of the tire. The bike doesnt feel like a balanced ride, when the road camber slopes away a few degrees to the right it tracks fine with no hands touching the bars but when I try that with the road camber sloping to the left and its very hard to manage to track straight ahead, I ride left side Australian roads. The rear tire is doing fine.
I have checked with a string line and nothing seems out of wack. I took it to the HD shop and they measured with a rod to the swing arm bolt and couldnt see anything out of place, putting it down to the road cambers. Rather a frustrating exercise, I like the bike and its my first HD but this is really cheesing me. I am 70KG ride solo no extra weight carried, don't go hard cornering but open it up on the take off at times, of course, stage 2 with a torque cam.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Could be nothing more that tire pressure. My V-Rod would wear front tires on the left side with 36 PSI. I upped it to 38 PSI and problem went away.

My Road King prematurely wore the front tire on the right side when the Fall away adjustment was not correct. Check the Fall away adjustment before all else.

Tire wear can be effected by the type of road surfaces you ride on. Rough roads will cause more wear than smooth roads.
What is Fall Away Please?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Rustyg had a good idea for odd front tire wear. You see fall away when you put the bike level on a lift or jack, then set the front tire straight forward. Let go. If it drops to the left or right, that's fall away. Check the service manual for your bike to make corrections.

Still, the tire wear mentioned on the '18 Fat Boy isn't news to me. A friend bought one and did a lot of riding. He described similar wear on the tires. The dealership took the bike back and he got a Street Glide. There's something hinckey with these new Fat Boys.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just took my ‘18 fatboy 107 to get inspected. Just over 4300 miles on the bike, bought it brand new in November of 2018. Service guy said “unfortunately you’re gonna need new front and back tires for it to pass”. Well that’s a kick in the teeth. $600 for tires and have to wait until Thursday for them to come in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just took my ‘18 fatboy 107 to get inspected. Just over 4300 miles on the bike, bought it brand new in November of 2018. Service guy said “unfortunately you’re gonna need new front and back tires for it to pass”. Well that’s a kick in the teeth. $600 for tires and have to wait until Thursday for them to come in.
PROBLEM SOLVED. The bikes with wide tyres will have this problem because in order to align the drive belt with the overly wide tyre HD had to move the motor assembly too far to to the left (our of balance). If you put a small spirit level across the steering head and sit the bike so that it is balanced it is not level or vertical, it leans to the right. So when you ride the wear is excessive to the right particularly in countries who drive on the left hand side of the road. If then you also change exhaust pipes to the short shot for instance that are lighter than the originals it aggravates the problem.

I solved the problem by attaching my saddlebags and putting 9kg of lead ingots in the right hand bag. You may also be able to do it by attaching a tool bag onto the right swing arm and filling it with lead (or gold).

Radical I know but now my front tyre wears evenly and I can take my hands off the handle bars and it will run straight on a relatively flat stretch of road.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same miles and the same problem.

·
Registered
41,389 Posts
Is it a prerequisite to be a scumbag to join Philadelphia pd or do you get ojt for that?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I have the same bike, my tyres did the same after 5000ks, i contacted Gold Coast Harley, they told me there is a engineering fault with this model, i am goIng to write to Harley and see what happens, I suggest you do the same, I am going to get rid off this bike, i had a previous Fatboy is was great, I am ditching Harley all together.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also changed my breaking pattern to see if it would help...it did not. I think the single front and opposite single rear brakes have a vast impact on the tire wear. I’m truly thinking a street glide CVO is the answer!!!
Hi, read my comment above, I found out from a Harley Dealership in Australia that there is a engineering problem with the New Fatboy Model, FLFBS, tyres will srub out at about 5000ks, my front tyre went off in a 100k ride. Also the fuel gauge broke,and the stand keeps hitting the ground, I am going to contact Harley to see if i can get any answers, hence i am getting rid of this piece of shit, gone off Harley's.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, I have the same bike, my tyres did the same after 5000ks, i contacted Gold Coast Harley, they told me there is a engineering fault with this model, i am goIng to write to Harley and see what happens, I suggest you do the same, I am going to get rid off this bike, i had a previous Fatboy is was great, I am ditching Harley all together.
Hi, the issue is that because of the wide rear tyre they had to move the motor assembly further to the left to be able to line the belt up with the rear pully therefore unbalancing the bike. That is why you have to lean further to the right when riding to both compensate for the left hand road camber and the left leaning bike. On top of that if you have short shot pipes that are lighter plus the camber it is a hopeless situation.
What I did was put my saddle bags on and put 9kg of lead ingots ito the right bag, now it runs straight to the point that on a reasonably flat stretch of road I can take my hands off the handlebars for a while.

·
Try'n to behave
6,223 Posts
Hi, read my comment above, I found out from a Harley Dealership in Australia that there is a engineering problem with the New Fatboy Model, FLFBS, tyres will srub out at about 5000ks, my front tyre went off in a 100k ride. Also the fuel gauge broke,and the stand keeps hitting the ground, I am going to contact Harley to see if i can get any answers, hence i am getting rid of this piece of shit, gone off Harley's.
2 Posts on the forum and both bitching about your Fatboy and saying your gone off Harley's...

Bye! Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

Reactions: Wiredog

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 Fatboy with 6000...replaced front due to tire wear on the right side and the rear is wearing badly. HD shop checked the bikae and said nothing wrong...took it to another HD Master Mech who did some research for me...he found out that the engine displacement is to the left side to compensate for the belt to get around the tire and puts the more weight to the left side. He then said without noticing i compensate to the right to keep the bike straight causing it to push down the road wearing the tires on the right...told me it was the bike set up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
2018 Fatboy with 6000...replaced front due to tire wear on the right side and the rear is wearing badly. HD shop checked the bikae and said nothing wrong...took it to another HD Master Mech who did some research for me...he found out that the engine displacement is to the left side to compensate for the belt to get around the tire and puts the more weight to the left side. He then said without noticing i compensate to the right to keep the bike straight causing it to push down the road wearing the tires on the right...told me it was the bike set up.
yes so I put 9kg lead in my right saddlebag and it is now well balanced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
PROBLEM SOLVED. The bikes with wide tyres will have this problem because in order to align the drive belt with the overly wide tyre HD had to move the motor assembly too far to to the left (our of balance). If you put a small spirit level across the steering head and sit the bike so that it is balanced it is not level or vertical, it leans to the right. So when you ride the wear is excessive to the right particularly in countries who drive on the left hand side of the road. If then you also change exhaust pipes to the short shot for instance that are lighter than the originals it aggravates the problem.

I solved the problem by attaching my saddlebags and putting 9kg of lead ingots in the right hand bag. You may also be able to do it by attaching a tool bag onto the right swing arm and filling it with lead (or gold).

Radical I know but now my front tyre wears evenly and I can take my hands off the handle bars and it will run straight on a relatively flat stretch of road.
Got to give that a try, cheers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi I have a 2018 FATBOY, it is the worse bike I have ever owned, it scrapes on the stand going around a left corner,it scrapes the exhaust going around a right corner. BIG NEWS? i found out from Harley Davidson themselves that there is a seroius engineering problem with this FLFBS model, because the rear tyre is so big they have offset the engine to the right, hense the tyres will scrub out on the right side, both front and rear, mine went around 4000ks. they will not admit it, there should be a recall, i tried to get them to buy my bike back, they offered me half the value i paid for it less that a year ago. IF you have one GET RID OF IT.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts