Harley Davidson Forums banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Got to give that a try, cheers.
Got to give that a try, cheers.
yes so I put 9kg lead in my right saddlebag and it is now well balanced.
Hi, why put lead in a bag to fix the problem, these bikes should be recalled, there is a serious problem with this model, lead is not going to fix it in the long run, i tried to get harley to buy it back, they offered me less than half, i am getting rid of mine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Alastair, I guess they will scrape if you lean them too far. As far as the tyre wear- I put 9kg lead ingots in the right hand saddle bag now I can ride no hands on a flat stretch of road and tyres wear evenly as they should. Not ideal but now I love the bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, why put lead in a bag to fix the problem, these bikes should be recalled, there is a serious problem with this model, lead is not going to fix it in the long run, i tried to get harley to buy it back, they offered me less than half, i am getting rid of mine.
I ended up taking the hit and trading in for a Fat Bob, the flfb needed a wash and tires anyway. The tire scrubbing and balance annoyed the crap out of me, I wasn't enjoying the ride and the problem would still be down there with counterbalancing the weight. My dealer wouldn't acknowledge there is a problem either even with the obvious wear on the tire.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Replaced the front and rear at 3700 miles. The entire front tire on the right side was bald. The rear also showed signs on the right of excessive wear. I paid full price for the set $800.
The new tires wore out at +3000 miles later. Called Customer (we don't) Care. They agreed to pay for the front. $500 for the rear to be replaced.
I am now looking for a lawyer to go after Harley for my expenses on a $22000 bike that doesn't roll straight and burns off rubber.
Same here, 114-2018 FB, front tire right side completely raw, left side perfectly fine after 4900 miles. Safeguard Warranty won't cover since it is not a road hazard. Lesson learned, drive a screw into it before bringing to dealership I guess?? Dealer looking into factory or manufacturer warranty but no guarantee on that yet.... wt%??

·
Registered
3 Posts

Same problem, 2018 Fatboy purchased In Feb or March 2018. Front tire wore out on right side of tire, seated, at 5100 miles. Rear tire at 6900 miles thread showing. Having same problem with 3300 miles on front tire. Have 8400 miles on bike now. I suspect I will be replacing the front tire again next year for inspection. Don’t have an answer from a dealer except it is indicative of the style bike. 36 psi front, 42 rear, not worried about the rear cus I hoarse on it every chance I get but front tread loss is BS. I suspect their will be a recall. I will try inflation to 38 psi as suggested by another post.
Same problem here. Bought fat boy in Aug of 2018. Front tire toast on right side at 8000 kms. New tire being installed Friday.Dealer gonna check for problems. Did you have any luck with more air pressure?Rear tire is holding up fine with 9000 kms

·
Registered
1 Posts
Like many have posted, front tire wear on right side is excessive on my 2018 Fatboy 114. About to install the 3rd tire now at 30k miles so sounds like I'm doing better than most... Love the bike but hate the uneven wear up front, even feel high freq vibration at speeds above 70, the dealership can't fix it. Going to load the right side with 20# to compensate as suggested and see if the wear pattern improves. Harley should provide guidance, but so far nothing from them...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2018 also 107 with 7000 miles. Same problem as a lot of guys. Front right side of tire is worn out, back tire is ok. Wife and I ride a lot total weight on bike is 400 lbs. Usually ride back roads at normal speeds. Any suggestions would be great
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alastair, I guess they will scrape if you lean them too far. As far as the tyre wear- I put 9kg lead ingots in the right hand saddle bag now I can ride no hands on a flat stretch of road and tyres wear evenly as they should. Not ideal but now I love the bike.
Wondering if you still have your fat boy. Are the twenty pounds added working out?What mileage have you put on since adding weight? I’m on my second front tire.Harley’s answer to the issue is it’s a characteristic of the bike.

?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wondering if you still have your fat boy. Are the twenty pounds added working out?What mileage have you put on since adding weight? I’m on my second front tire.Harley’s answer to the issue is it’s a characteristic of the bike.

?
Not sure yet as I have not worn a tyre out with the counterweights on board. Its certainly more balanced though. Haven't ridden as much due to covit and winter is Australia.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2018 fatboy wore out both front and rear tires at 8,000 miles. now at 11,000 miles the front is already wore down to the wear bars on right half of front tire. running 36 psi in front and 40 psi in rear. anyone else having this issue? tires are too expensive to replace this soon and feel like something must be wrong.
Hi EVERYONE WHO OWNS A 2018 FATBOY, SAFETY ALERT??
Alan ,
I can tell you this model is a piece of shit, I scubed out tyres within 4000ks and found out through my local Harley dealership that HARLEY had to off set the engine so the rear pulley could line up with the engine? it has put the bike off balance by 9kgs. I even contacted Harley in the USA. they replyed and admitted this to me, i asked, there should be a recall, money back or swap for another bike, no reply from them. get rid of it, I did, went back to 2015 FATBOY much better bike.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here, 114-2018 FB, front tire right side completely raw, left side perfectly fine after 4900 miles. Safeguard Warranty won't cover since it is not a road hazard. Lesson learned, drive a screw into it before bringing to dealership I guess?? Dealer looking into factory or manufacturer warranty but no guarantee on that yet.... wt%??
I just had to replace my front and rear tires at only 8000kms. At a cost of $1600. It’s just crazy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just had to replace my front and rear tires at only 8000kms. At a cost of $1600. It’s just crazy.
I put 9kg lead ingots in right saddlebag now perfect. At 4000 km no wear visible. I can ride hands free on a flat stretch of road, just stear with my knees.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put 9kg lead ingots in right saddlebag now perfect. At 4000 km no wear visible. I can ride hands free on a flat stretch of road, just stear with my knees.
After replacing my original front at 9000 kms went back to the dealer at 11500. Tire was down 1/32 more on the right. Specs checked on bike for second time. Nothing wrong 😬. Master Harley mechanic in Canada and US both replied normal wear for the bike. No answer from them on why bike pulls to the left. Strapped 20 pounds on right side close to the tank. Worked perfectly. Gonna have something fabricated next summer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
After replacing my original front at 9000 kms went back to the dealer at 11500. Tire was down 1/32 more on the right. Specs checked on bike for second time. Nothing wrong 😬. Master Harley mechanic in Canada and US both replied normal wear for the bike. No answer from them on why bike pulls to the left. Strapped 20 pounds on right side close to the tank. Worked perfectly. Gonna have something fabricated next summer.
Let me know when youve fabricated it to straighten it up please?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Let me know when youve fabricated it to straighten it up please?
Certainly will do that. Keep us up to date on how that front tire continues to wear. Wondering if there are owner's of this bike that actually get even tire wear on the front?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Certainly will do that. Keep us up to date on how that front tire continues to wear. Wondering if there are owner's of this bike that actually get even tire wear on the front?
Id say physically impossible because of the motor offset. What would make the problem less severe would be in a right hand side driving country and the original exhaust (being heavier than say short shots)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2020 30th Anniversary Fatboy Harley replaced both front n rear [email protected] due to front tire cupping out bad enough handlebar would shake low speed and rear tire causing vibration n losing air pressure that they couldn't find leak in I guess... I did notice wheels have excessive amount of weights on them with both sets of tires... I'm starting to think the wheels are cast very unbalanced cause I've put Michelin tires on my previous bike trued wheels before and after mounting tires and they run very true none to to hardly any weights needed I would same standard would be on scorcher tires... Just my thoughts...

41 - 60 of 66 Posts