Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Potential new owner here
I’ve ridden and have been totally smitten however it seems it would lend itself more as a second bike however the cost makes it impractical.
So the question is, if coming from a Suzuki gsx-s 1000F, what are your opinions on the Fatboy as your only bike, I get that the handling is pretty far away from the Suzi, but I can deal with that, what are your opinions on the Fatboy for

·
weird member
3,160 Posts
I dunno about the Fat Boy specifically, but I use one of the most "second/around town/bar hopper" bikes as a "this is my everything bike"... a Softail Custom, and she's kind of old too (1997, though there's people with older bikes than that which are less suited for touring that they have no problems touring with). People have turned Sportsters into touring machines.

That's one of the great things about Harley's... you can customize them for any kind of riding you want to do.

The Fat Boy is probably even better for touring/all-around riding than what I have since it has an FL front-end (as opposed to an FX front end like mine).

It's all about how you set it up. All cruisers are great for touring regardless of whether it's a touring frame or softail frame when you compare them to a sport bike.

But you can turn any Harley into an all-rounder. Don't worry how most people use a particular model. The key is to make it as comfortable as possible for you for long distance riding. Even with a touring seat, you can still bop around town and hit curves with it.

Touring seat, quick detach windshield, sissy bar. That's really all you need for a basic "all-rounder". Strap duffle bag to the sissy bar for touring, pop on windshield and you're good to go.

The best bike for having "fun" is probably the Low Rider S. Now obviously a Fat Boy or anything else isn't going to do quite as well as say the Low Rider S or Sportsters as far as "having fun" (as in, canyon carving, tearing it up in deep-leans, etc), but it's not like you can't do it with them.

In my opinion, Softails are actually the perfect "all-rounder" bikes as most of them are right in the middle of "designed for hooliganism" and "designed for the long-haul".

·
Registered
42,692 Posts
Potential new owner here
I’ve ridden and have been totally smitten however it seems it would lend itself more as a second bike however the cost makes it impractical.
So the question is, if coming from a Suzuki gsx-s 1000F, what are your opinions on the Fatboy as your only bike, I get that the handling is pretty far away from the Suzi, but I can deal with that, what are your opinions on the Fatboy for
I've test ridden the FatBoy, and I think it is the most all rounder bike in the HD lineup.

·
Registered
42,692 Posts
Touring seat, quick detach windshield, sissy bar. That's really all you need for a basic "all-rounder". Strap duffle bag to the sissy bar for touring, pop on windshield and you're good to go.

The best bike for having "fun" is probably the Low Rider S. Now obviously a Fat Boy or anything else isn't going to do quite as well as say the Low Rider S or Sportsters as far as "having fun" (as in, canyon carving, tearing it up in deep-leans, etc), but it's not like you can't do it with them.

In my opinion, Softails are actually the perfect "all-rounder" bikes as most of them are right in the middle of "designed for hooliganism" and "designed for the long-haul".
:nod

Reactions: sardonicus87

·
V-Twin Junkie
1,048 Posts
I got off a 1200 Bandit (the last of many, many Japanese bikes) when I bought my Sportster. I'd never go back, nor do I miss the Bandit. The Sportster has taken me on 1000 mile trips, gets used to commute to work, and certainly sees time parked outside bars.

Do it!

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,598 Posts
I had a Bonneville that I turned into a touring bike so I know anything can be done! If you choose the parts you put on it knowing that you may/will be sometimes taking them off, it will help you as well. Too much wrenching to change it around is what got me to finally get more than one bike. I had 7 at one time, but that was a long time ago. I can be a bit on the obsessed side at times haha. Have only 3 now. But anyway, before you get to the point where you can do that, have fun with what you have. My Softail isn't the biggest framed bike, but it's comfy once I got the backrest and hwy pegs on it. I ride to Ohio every year to see my family there and usually take my Honda since it has a trunk and bags and fairing, blah blah blah. But this year I'm thinking of riding Daisy, the Softail, instead. Will definitely be different. The 'cool' factor is higher on a Harley-Davidson as well!

·
Registered
2019 Fat Boy
103 Posts
I’ve got the 2019 FB and for us (we ride 2 up a lot) it is the perfect all rounder. Does everything we need. Big bag on the sissy bar rack when we tour for a week, smaller bag or back pack if I take it to work. Strip the quick detach sissy for solo riding. And it’s just a great looking bike, gets lots of attention and comments. used to have sports bike, and sports tourer but never enjoyed them as much as this bike.

·
Registered
490 Posts
For commuting I ride an 09 Sporty as its lighter, more nimble, brakes better and has sufficient power around town. For out on the road where I am 2-up I am on my FXR with a duel seat for comfort.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Potential new owner here
I owned a new 18 and had not rode for 34 years. I was 58 when I bought mine. If I could ride it as a everyday bike I know you can.
I kept it 2 years and loved every min.
I have a Road King now.
Papa.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My fatboy is my every day ride and here is a picture when I was riding from Oregon to Florida. The bag makes a great backrest and the 14 inch apes are perfect for my size. I do want to change to forward controls soon though. Just personal preference.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

·
Former Lurker
3,733 Posts
I had an 07 FB that I put bags and a windshield on. I mainly bought it for the upgrades that came out in 07, I was planning on doing a lot of these on my 05 RKC, but trading was cheaper. (96 from 88in, internal bar wiring, 6 speed tranny, 200 rear tire - up from 180,)
I road it all over for about 5 years, even took it up and around Toronto from SC.
The 200 rear tire DID force HD to offset the drive train, she did not corner nearly as well as other HD's I have had. Not sure I would buy another FB. (Actually quite taken with my RG.)

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts