Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, New to the forum, first post.
I bought a 2019 Heritage with 4985 miles on it about a month ago. First HD since my "last of the AMFs" 1981 Roadster.
The seller claimed the bike was just out of winter storage and that the 5000 mile maintenance was performed.
It ran and rode fine at purchase. I trailered it home from KC to near Des Moines, IA. I live on gravel so I store my bikes in
town at my in laws. Due to continuous rain and limited ride time I've only ridden it once, about 2 weeks ago. No problems encountered. It is garaged, covered, on a maintainer, etc.

I went to do a ride this morning and the brakes seem to be locked up solid. Can't see the front pads too well but the rears are clamped good and fast. Not very familiar with the bike obviously but I don't see an engine fault indicator, the ABS is on but my understanding is that is normal until wheel movement is sensed.

Am I missing something, has the ABS modulator failed, or what.

Any and all help will be appreciated

·
Just Ride
3,672 Posts
Module failed. I'd crack a bleeder open and see if they release.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Module failed. I'd crack a bleeder open and see if they release.
Thanks FritzHD. That was my thinking loosen bleeder/s and reservoir cover/s and see what happens. May have to invest in a suitable scanner or software to cycle the modulator? before I take it in. I'll update if I find a resolution.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You may still be under Harley-Davidson's two-year unlimited mileage warranty. Contact your local dealership and provide the V.I.N. and they should be able to look up the sell date.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You may still be under Harley-Davidson's two-year unlimited mileage warranty. Contact your local dealership and provide the V.I.N. and they should be able to look up the sell date.
Good idea, just assumed it was out of warranty. If it is I'll tinker a little and look for a local independent mechanic.
I did crack the bleeder and reservoir covers. Like I said bike isn't at my house so I didn't have any brake fluid, to bleed much. I did bleed a few drops just to take pressure off the line and make sure a line wasn't collapsed. Not a wrench kind of guy but I've always done my own fluids, filters, plugs, etc, on my other bikes. But then my 13 year old Suzuki dirt bike, and 8 year old Bonneville have never broken. Thought things with HD might have changed in 40 years since my POS AMF.
I was going to remove the fuse for the ABS just to see if it did anything. Can't find the fuse panel. Unbelievable it's location isn't in the owners manual. Found the main fuse block but nothing else. I'll look harder, unless someone can tell me where it is.. Do you know if the ABS fuse is on a main panel or by itself somewhere.
Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Good idea, just assumed it was out of warranty. If it is I'll tinker a little and look for a local independent mechanic.
I did crack the bleeder and reservoir covers. Like I said bike isn't at my house so I didn't have any brake fluid, to bleed much. I did bleed a few drops just to take pressure off the line and make sure a line wasn't collapsed. Not a wrench kind of guy but I've always done my own fluids, filters, plugs, etc, on my other bikes. But then my 13 year old Suzuki dirt bike, and 8 year old Bonneville have never broken. Thought things with HD might have changed in 40 years since my POS AMF.
I was going to remove the fuse for the ABS just to see if it did anything. Can't find the fuse panel. Unbelievable it's location isn't in the owners manual. Found the main fuse block but nothing else. I'll look harder, unless someone can tell me where it is.. Do you know if the ABS fuse is on a main panel or by itself somewhere.
Appreciate the help.
One thing to note with ABS brakes - the fluid needs to be flushed and replaced every two years. To do this properly, it must be taken to a Harley-Davidson dealership. They have to hook their computer software up to your bike so it can actuate the ABS pump and flush the old fluid out of that part of the system too. Independent mechanics do not have access to that software. It runs about $200. Replacing the ABS pump and related parts runs $1,000.

This is a good video to watch - all the way to the end.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thing to note with ABS brakes - the fluid needs to be flushed and replaced every two years. To do this properly, it must be taken to a Harley-Davidson dealership. They have to hook their computer software up to your bike so it can actuate the ABS pump and flush the old fluid out of that part of the system too. Independent mechanics do not have access to that software. It runs about $200. Replacing the ABS pump and related parts runs $1,000.

This is a good video to watch - all the way to the end.

HD
Thanks. Well aware of that HD Christmas fund requirement. Seller stated that the 5k service was done and the bike is 2+/- years old. No guarantee the service or bleed was actually done but if things go to sh#t at 2yrs + a month or two, sounds like another recall to me The fluid looks real clear/light amber but who knows. I may call the sellers service dept. in KC to verify things. .If I wind up replacing the modulator a proper bleed will have to be done by whomever anyway.
My long term intention is to buy the tablet/software solution sold by (he's in my bookmarks) for $180 which l does every thing the HD program does. There are non HD solutions and anyone working on the newer HDs hopefully can do it. If not and the repair cost savings is substantial I'll buy the Tablet solution to get it done. Their are options for Indi shops but expensive for multiple VIN use.
$1000 huh. Still saving $10k over new cost. + seller addons.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Thanks. Well aware of that HD Christmas fund requirement. Seller stated that the 5k service was done and the bike is 2+/- years old. No guarantee the service or bleed was actually done but if things go to sh#t at 2yrs + a month or two, sounds like another recall to me The fluid looks real clear/light amber but who knows. I may call the sellers service dept. in KC to verify things. .If I wind up replacing the modulator a proper bleed will have to be done by whomever anyway.
My long term intention is to buy the tablet/software solution sold by (he's in my bookmarks) for $180 which l does every thing the HD program does. There are non HD solutions and anyone working on the newer HDs hopefully can do it. If not and the repair cost savings is substantial I'll buy the Tablet solution to get it done. Their are options for Indi shops but expensive for multiple VIN use.
$1000 huh. Still saving $10k over new cost. + seller addons.
Welcome to the forum!

I have zero knowledge of a aftermarket Digital Tech 2.
I flush my own brakes, then take it to my dealer for a quick run on the Digital Tech. (this drops the price from a $250 brake service to $100.) I'm cheep! Besides i don't have to schedule in the brake flush weeks in advance. I will be following along on this thread! Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
let me just throw this out there. This probably isn't it, but easy to check. Is it possible that your brake pads got wet (you said it was raining) and have stuck to the rotor?? Not likely on SS rotors, but again easy to check.

EDIT Caliper pistons could also be frozen.

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
let me just throw this out there. This probably isn't it, but easy to check. Is it possible that your brake pads got wet (you said it was raining) and have stuck to the rotor?? Not likely on SS rotors, but again easy to check.

Jim,
Sorry for any confusion. I said that I had only been able to ride once since purchase due to the amount of rainy days and when it wasn't raining I had limited opportunity to ride. The one day I did ride was dry, no problems were experienced. I've had a busy personal schedule lately and due to my bikes not being garaged at my home riding is a planned event.. Both front and rear calipers are closed solid. Mount up, put in neutral, pull in the clutch, jerk back or push forward and the bike doesn't move at all. Gonna try a few things tomorrow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the forum!

I have zero knowledge of a aftermarket Digital Tech 2.
I flush my own brakes, then take it to my dealer for a quick run on the Digital Tech. (this drops the price from a $250 brake service to $100.) I'm cheep! Besides i don't have to schedule in the brake flush weeks in advance. I will be following along on this thread! Please keep us updated.
Scott,
Here are links to 1 product homepage and 2 YouTube videos demoing 2 others. I've found others which I didn't make note of due to their costs.

The 1st one is offerred by a private indiviual and is limited to use on a single VIN. It has been discussed on another HD forum, and is $179.00. He is apparently quite responsive to emails and phone calls for questions and help.This is the one I'm interested in. Need to ensure it'll work on my 2019.

The next 2 are youtube videos by J+P Cycles and Snap-On tools. More $$. Been a while since I watched them.

Andy

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
If you open the rear caliper bleeder can you retract the brake pads? Is it possible something like a small stone jammed in between the caliper and rotor?
Just looking for cheap, easy fixes before you spend a lot of money on an ABS module.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you open the rear caliper bleeder can you retract the brake pads? Is it possible something like a small stone jammed in between the caliper and rotor?
Just looking for cheap, easy fixes before you spend a lot of money on an ABS module.
"Cheap and easy is my hope: ;-) It's both brakes. I did a quick crack on both F/R the other day, no luck. Will try to push the pads open today. Don't have a service manual but if I have to , and I can get the calipers off I'll try a c-clamp or wood shims to try to spread them.

Just confirmed that it is out of warranty (January). Talked to the selling dealer, the owner had purchased HDs service pack, all maintenance including the 5K service (November) was done as required. Didn't ask but I'm assuming HDs Platinum fluid was installed.The owner was a mid 60s female, 5'3', and was fastidious about maintenance according to the dealer. The service guy knew her by name. Hope to get it movable today.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Problem resolved. Learned a moderately expensive and certainly dangerous lesson.
The woman I bought the bike from is 5'3" and had installed a Legends air monoshock so she could lower the bike down for mounting, dismounting, and when stopped in traffic for a period. She could flat foot when lowered.
I'm 5'7", 160#, and have never ridden a "real" Harley. My Triumph weighs about 500#, my dual sport about the same, and my 80s Sporty about the same. The Heritage is 200+ # heavier.
I had taken off the side bags, luggage rack and tail bag to reduce the weight and bulk while I got comfortable with the bike.. Not needed in town anyway.
My MISTAKE was I put the side bag bolts back in. I had adjusted the air shock for proper sag, and little did I know, when I rode it the one time, that the bolt ends were dragging slightly on the rear tire! Probably woudn't have punctured it but enough scarring not to trust it.
I didn't ride it for 10 days and the shock had bled down and the bolts were resting on the tire preventing the bike from moving. New toy, live and learn. I did check the owners manual, didn't see any warning about the bolts. Not sure if they're stock or not.
I normally do a late summer trip to FL or CA and probably would have replaced the tires when I got back any way. As is I need a new rear tire and I normally do both at once on my Triumph, so I'll do the front also if I change brands.
Any comment on stock Harley tires' rain performance?. I've done several 3000 mile+ trips on my Triumph and I've encountered torrential rain, snow, and even hail. Need a tire that will perform in the rain at highway speed.

Thanks to all those that took the time to help me figure this out.

Andy

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Thanks for letting us know what you found.
Dunlop AE's work well.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Thanks for letting us know what you found.
Dunlop AE's work well.
X2 for the Dunnies!

That is a amazing story boomerguy! Thanks for sharing that! What a surprise! Glad you found the root cause. If found later, it may not have ended well. Your Bell is working! (y)

Reactions: Harleyjef and JLR

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
X2 for the Dunnies!

That is a amazing story boomerguy! Thanks for sharing that! What a surprise! Glad you found the root cause. If found later, it may not have ended well. Your Bell is working! (y)
I'd been reading alot about ways to get around HDs DT2 brake bleed tax, and their ABS problems and I think my mind just focused on that being the problem. Plus it's a new bike, lots of $$, and I'm in a WTF mindset. I'm not used to an air shock so a bleed down didn't even cross my mind, pump it up and forget it! If the bags had been on, it would have sat low but thats about it. I did check with Legends and they say up to 10% air bleed per day is normal. The bike had sat for about 10 days. I'm gonna tweek on the fittings and do a soapy water spray down tomorrow.

When I think about it the shock hadn't bled down thngs could have gotten real ugly on my intended ride..

Thanks for the comment Scott and your service. Ex USN bubblehead here. Did 12 got tired of boring holes in the ocean.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I'd been reading alot about ways to get around HDs DT2 brake bleed tax, and their ABS problems and I think my mind just focused on that being the problem. Plus it's a new bike, lots of $$, and I'm in a WTF mindset. I'm not used to an air shock so a bleed down didn't even cross my mind, pump it up and forget it! If the bags had been on, it would have sat low but thats about it. I did check with Legends and they say up to 10% air bleed per day is normal. The bike had sat for about 10 days. I'm gonna tweek on the fittings and do a soapy water spray down tomorrow.

When I think about it the shock hadn't bled down thngs could have gotten real ugly on my intended ride..

Thanks for the comment Scott and your service. Ex USN bubblehead here. Did 12 got tired of boring holes in the ocean.
I would have never guessed a Submariner! I figured you were a Air Force Boomer (KC-35, KC-10) just by your screen name! I have worked with a few Bubbleheads, All good people! 12 years is 2 more tours than i pulled... One n' done for me. Now working at Fleet Readiness Center SW for Uncle Sam.. 2 years to go!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would have never guessed a Submariner! I figured you were a Air Force Boomer (KC-35, KC-10) just by your screen name! I have worked with a few Bubbleheads, All good people! 12 years is 2 more tours than i pulled... One n' done for me. Now working at Fleet Readiness Center SW for Uncle Sam.. 2 years to go!
SSBN aka Boomer. 3 boats, all Poseidon class and decommissioned now. First 8 were fun, last 4 not so much. '74-'86

·
Registered
397 Posts

Wow, 10% bleed per day seems excessive to me. But hey, I worked in Nuclear Power plants that accepted no leakage.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts