Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 2020 iron 883 a week ago. Bike had 8 miles on it. Got it delivered this past Friday. Finally got to go for a ride tonight. Didn’t make it 2 miles down the road when I noticed just the battery light on. Pulled into the gas station and let it run and it went off. Go to leave and the bike died. Got a jump start and made it a 1/4 mile down the road before it died again. I started it twice over the weekend and let it run for about a half hour. Everything was fine. Started it tonight fired right up. Finally get back home and I notice oil leaking from the head bolts. I’m going to call the dealer tomorrow but was wondering what might be the issue. It’s literally a brand spanking new bike and I didn’t think I’d have issues within 11 miles.. really frustrated.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Your bike is under a two-year warranty from Harley-Davidson . . . let the dealer take care of it. If you try fixing something yourself, you may void the warranty. The dealership should also pick the bike up from your house, fix the issue, and return the bike to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ii think the "Leak" is a little Assembly Lube. Wipe it off and see if it returns.
It wasn’t there before tonight. I stared at it all weekend. Looked at it up and down a million times. I’ve read they can seep it out due to access from assembly. Was just curios if anyone else has had these kind of issues with this new of a bike or what they could be from for future reference. 100% gunna let the dealer figure it out. Just for peace of mind I’d like some others input. Seems how I can’t even start the thing up I’m just gunna leave it there and see what they say.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Faulty battery? My wife's 2016 Forty-Eight had a bad battery before it left the dealership with zero miles . . .

·
Registered
649 Posts
Let us know what you find out from the dealership . . .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
  • G
  • Let us know what you find out from the dealership . . .
    Will do! Called them today they are coming to pick it up tomorrow. I’m guessing it’s a junk battery. Took a second look tonight and the bike was completely dead not even the little red security light flashing and double checked everything all connections I can see and the terminals put some jumper cables on it from a car and everything acted as it should. I didn’t start it to see cause it’s late but fuel pump ran all lights worked and as soon as I took the cables off it wasn’t but 10 seconds and it went completely dark again.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Mentioned letting it run for 30 mins, idling ? That's a no no with air cooled engine. Let mine idle on coldest day, only long enough to put on jacket, gloves and a helmet. Ride conservatively then , especially a fresh engine. IMO.

·
Billyghoate
18 Posts
I had a 05 sporster, same shit. Rode conservatively for first hundred miles so rings seat good, then rode it like i stole! Better have it break down under warrantee, so i twist it to make anything go wrong that might be not up to par. Amsoil only...69k and 0 problems

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bike is done going to pick it up tomorrow. All they said over the phone was a loose connection. I’m going to ask for a more in depth explanation when I’m there cause I looked at everything I could especially the terminals. And they seemed plenty tight to me. Will updated when I get a better answer.

·
Retired citizen
22,287 Posts
Bike is done going to pick it up tomorrow. All they said over the phone was a loose connection. I’m going to ask for a more in depth explanation when I’m there cause I looked at everything I could especially the terminals. And they seemed plenty tight to me. Will updated when I get a better answer.
My guess, a loose battery negative cable ! Make the service desk give you written documentation of the problem. Many times they'll say warranty, no problem and send ya down the road. I would ask for a copy of the documentation of the repair.

·
Retired citizen
22,287 Posts
Also the service dept. should have fully charged the battery and ran it up on the analyzer for a printout that's needed for them to write a warranty claim to the MoCo. I would get a copy of that too.
If they don't have that test ask them to do it while you wait, it only takes 5 minutes to get the printout.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts