Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a huge fan of the mini apes on my 2020 Street Bob, but have never swapped bars in my life (this is my first bike).
Two questions:
  1. Will I need to shorten my cables if I move to something like a hollywood bar?
  2. Has anyone done a swap like this and can light my path on complexity?
Thanks!

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have not done a handlebar swap, but I know the first advice members will share with you is to purchase a Genuine Harley-Davidson Service/Shop Manual so you have detailed directions, torque specs, etc. when working on your bike.

Congratulations on your new bike by the way!

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you go to a low handlebar on the 2020 FXBB, you will need a shorter upper brake line and also a shorter upper clutch line, if your cables are currently OEM length. You will want to pay attention to your new brake line banjo angle to see that it is correct for the new handlebar you picked. Hope this helps!

·
Retired citizen
22,299 Posts
It depends on how much shorter or longer the handlebars are.
Measure from the center of the bars between the riser centers to the end of the OEM bars then compare that to the same measurement on the bars getting installed. In most cases 3" on either end won't require changing wire harness or cable lengths with some minimal rerouting to those.
The front brake line is the tiebreaker, longer bars will require a longer brake line. Shorter bars (<3") and the brake line can be rerouted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts