·
Registered
43,116 Posts

Reactions: MoRider

·
Noel
11,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahhhh, I did not look in General Motorcycle, maybe that thread should be moved into the Sportster group or maybe another new Model line category since it's such a ~Revolutionary~ change over the evo.

Reactions: priell3

·
V-Twin Junkie
1,189 Posts
I'm sure folks will make the case that 120 hp and 94 lb ft of torque in a 500 pound bike will revitalize the Sportster, but that would be missing the following KEY points:

1. Low purchase price
2. Simplicity
3. Easily modifiable

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm sure folks will make the case that 120 hp and 94 lb ft of torque in a 500 pound bike will revitalize the Sportster, but that would be missing the following KEY points:

1. Low purchase price
2. Simplicity
3. Easily modifiable
The price is pretty close to my XLCH, new in '68. That was $1800 which with inflation would be about 18k by now. But, that was for a 883cc bike that didn't even have a battery. I forget the weight, haven't rode a Sportster in fifty years.
Simplicity is relative. Sport bikes are pretty complicated, so are touring these days. I enjoy my Dyna, so simple is something I appreciate.
Modifications are what the real Harley guys will come up with. They always find a way. (Jurassic Park)

·
Registered
43,116 Posts
I spent way more than 18k to get that kind of horsepower in my softail. Not to mention time in the shop x 3!

Reactions: TaxmanHog

·
V-Twin Junkie
1,189 Posts
For less than 6 grand, I could buy what it would take to make 130 hp and 96 lb ft in the Sportster I own. If I look at what I paid for the bike used ($6800) and simply added that kit (instead of all the motor stuff I've done piecemeal), I'm at almost 33% less. Yeah, I know-the new Sporties will also be modded and there is no way to beat the future with the past. That said, I am planning to bump mine from its current 80-90 hp to over 100, and try to get the torque into the high 80's/low 90's and call it done. There are a lot of other things I want to do, and I still want to grab a cheap old KLR for some ghost town hunting/moto-camping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts