Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you didn’t know yet, the 2021 touring models have now gone back to cable activated clutches.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Why? Just yesterday during a ride I told my biker friend how I envied the hydraulic clutch on his '17 Ultra CVO thanks to my arthritic hands combined with the heavy duty clutch diaphragm spring on my '09 Ultra. :confused:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I wonder why? I like the hydraulic clutch on my "14 Street Glide. Just got the bike late last year, one owner 2,815 miles on her when I bought her. It's the fly by wire throttle that I am still getting used to. Seems a little twitchy to me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Been a while since they had oil pressure gauges on them. My '03 had one and my brothers '06 has one. Truthfully do you really want to see the oil pressure when the bike is hot and it sits at 2psi at idle...if that? After I converted to the hydraulic cam chain tensioners and high pressure/volume oil pump it never went below 10 psi

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I think they're doing it to finally fix the Tranny Fluid Transfer debacle on the M8's with hydro clutches. The M8's with cable clutches did not do it. The bandaid of venting the primary case, (which they never had to do before), was just that, a bandaid, not the fix. I'm not an MoCo engineer and don't pretend to know everything about the transfer issue, but it did cause me to go thru 2 M8 Road Kings before going back into a Rushmore TC. I wish they could have found a real solution to the problem, because it seemed to only lie in the fact that the clutch rod setup was different between the two. Not rocket science. Why else revert back technologically clutch wise? I have zero issues with the hydro clutch on my TC. But that's just one mans opinion.........

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think they're doing it to finally fix the Tranny Fluid Transfer debacle on the M8's with hydro clutches. The M8's with cable clutches did not do it. The bandaid of venting the primary case, (which they never had to do before), was just that, a bandaid, not the fix. I'm not an MoCo engineer and don't pretend to know everything about the transfer issue, but it did cause me to go thru 2 M8 Road Kings before going back into a Rushmore TC. I wish they could have found a real solution to the problem, because it seemed to only lie in the fact that the clutch rod setup was different between the two. Not rocket science. Why else revert back technologically clutch wise? I have zero issues with the hydro clutch on my TC. But that's just one mans opinion.........
Good to know...I almost bought a 2019 Electra Glide Standard. I got a coupon from Milwaukee for $2,500.00 off MSRP. I went and looked at it...talked numbers....didn't pull the trigger. Just didn't love the bike. Never been a fan of black bikes for myself. "Settled" instead for a 2014 Street Glide with 9500 miles on it. So happy I did. August 2020 I get rear ended by an SUV after he stopped behind me. Light turned green, I start to roll, bam. As I come off the bike, it keeps going. 250 feet later after crossing 3 lanes of traffic it jumps the curb and hits a fence. Totaled! Insurance settles with me and I find a 2014 Street Glide Special with 2,815 miles on it which I love even more. Love the hydraulic clutch. Not quite used to the fly by wire throttle yet. Seems a bit twitchy to me.

·
old scoot coot
4,110 Posts
Been a while since they had oil pressure gauges on them. My '03 had one and my brothers '06 has one. Truthfully do you really want to see the oil pressure when the bike is hot and it sits at 2psi at idle...if that? After I converted to the hydraulic cam chain tensioners and high pressure/volume oil pump it never went below 10 psi
yea, up to the m8, 2017, they gave a readout on oil pressure on the engine info display, no guage but that was fine. then in 2017 the display just shows ok instead of the actual oil pressure. the oil pressure switch is just off or on. for that kind of money one should have an actual readout on oil pressure. i'm putting a guage on my 17 limited. yea when you are headed down hwy 50, the lonliest road, and the oat is 112 degrees it's kind of nice to look down and see that your oil pressure is 33lbs. :)

·
old scoot coot
4,110 Posts
Good to know...I almost bought a 2019 Electra Glide Standard. I got a coupon from Milwaukee for $2,500.00 off MSRP. I went and looked at it...talked numbers....didn't pull the trigger. Just didn't love the bike. Never been a fan of black bikes for myself. "Settled" instead for a 2014 Street Glide with 9500 miles on it. So happy I did. August 2020 I get rear ended by an SUV after he stopped behind me. Light turned green, I start to roll, bam. As I come off the bike, it keeps going. 250 feet later after crossing 3 lanes of traffic it jumps the curb and hits a fence. Totaled! Insurance settles with me and I find a 2014 Street Glide Special with 2,815 miles on it which I love even more. Love the hydraulic clutch. Not quite used to the fly by wire throttle yet. Seems a bit twitchy to me.
yea i kept my 14 limited with almost a 100k on it. the tc103ho was the apex of the twin cam engine. i like the hyd clutch. my 17 limited has it too no issues. i got it with 15,000 mi on it a year ago. it did not transfer or sump but i installed a primary vent and upgraded the oil pump, new cam bearing, lifters, cuffs and went to stage one with tuner. 33,000 miles now and no issues at all. i love the performance of the m8 engine. i'm kinda old school, i still love my unballanced twin cam too. you will love your twin cam street glide special. there are many other features of the rushmore line too you will be glad to have as well.;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
yea i kept my 14 limited with almost a 100k on it. the tc103ho was the apex of the twin cam engine. i like the hyd clutch. my 17 limited has it too no issues. i got it with 15,000 mi on it a year ago. it did not transfer or sump but i installed a primary vent and upgraded the oil pump and lifters and went to stage one with tuner. 33,000 miles now and no issues at all. i love the performance of the m8 engine. i'm kinda old school, i still love my unballanced twin cam too. you will love your twin cam street glide special. there are many other features of the rushmore line too you will be glad to have.
Yeah, as opposed to my '03 that i rode for 103,000 miles, the Rushmore as more ground clearance. I used to scrape my floorboards all the time. It just does not happen on the Street Glide. I did notice the need for a battery tender on it. The background electronics seem to run the battery down fairly quickly. My '03 could go through the winter and still start in the spring. I do like the ABS. I have intentionally tried to lock up the rear wheel and the ABS works. I'm an MSF Rider Coach and I still don't have the balls to try to lock up the front wheel. Just can't bring myself to do it...lol. The throttle though. 100k in 6 years? You must live someplace warm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts