Harley Davidson Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
I'm happy as hell with mine...(bluetooth is lame...). other than that, no problems. I did have the ABS sender wire rubbing against the rear tire (pre delivery , didnt catch it on walkthrough), after I discovered it, dealer swapped it out on warranty.
Gotta get me a service manual tho.

· Registered
2019 Heritage Classic 114
57 Posts
I will for sure. This is my first time dealing with HDCO and a dealer with a new bike. The Pan Am is my first new bike of any kind. So I am very interested in how they handle it for me.
I once was traveling from Ohio to California when my’84 Evo FXRT broke down near Dallas Texas. I limped into Harley Davidson of Dallas and they took it right in ahead of others because I was from out of state and traveling through. They replaced the stator, battery, voltage regulator, and starter at no cost to me as it was still under warranty. I think they even bought my lunch. I was back on the road in the afternoon of the same day. Excellent service from those folks.

· Registered
2022 HD Pan America Special
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm happy as hell with mine...(bluetooth is lame...). other than that, no problems. I did have the ABS sender wire rubbing against the rear tire (pre delivery , didnt catch it on walkthrough), after I discovered it, dealer swapped it out on warranty.
Gotta get me a service manual tho.
I use bluetooth through my helmet, I haven't used the bike bluetooth yet. What issues do you have with the bluetooth?

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I once was traveling from Ohio to California when my’84 Evo FXRT broke down near Dallas Texas. I limped into Harley Davidson of Dallas and they took it right in ahead of others because I was from out of state and traveling through. They replaced the stator, battery, voltage regulator, and starter at no cost to me as it was still under warranty. I think they even bought my lunch. I was back on the road in the afternoon of the same day. Excellent service from those folks.
That is awesome! I wish people still understood what real customer service is. It is very unfortunate that I have heard so many horror stories about other dealers and have experienced it myself with other companies. This is my first situation to deal with Harley about. And several people told me they were not satisfied at other dealers, but I feel that mine went above and beyond to take care of the issue.

· weird member
2022 El Diablo, 1997 FXSTC
4,557 Posts
That is awesome! I wish people still understood what real customer service is. It is very unfortunate that I have heard so many horror stories about other dealers and have experienced it myself with other companies. This is my first situation to deal with Harley about. And several people told me they were not satisfied at other dealers, but I feel that mine went above and beyond to take care of the issue.
Well, some dealers are good, some are crap, that's the nature of any business.

But take people's crap with a grain of salt. Lots of people will bad mouth a dealer because they basically wanted something for nothing, couldn't get it, so they Karen it up at the dealer. Sometimes the dealership's hands are tied on something by corporate and people blame the dealer much like a guy that chews out a waitress when the screw up was in the kitchen.

To be honest, I don't trust 99% of reviews of any product or service. Very few people rate or review things unless they got something bad to say or are bootlickers or paid shills. Lots of stuff if you look at review breakdowns shows almost all the reviews are 5 stars or 1 star and not a lot in between.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well, some dealers are good, some are crap, that's the nature of any business.

But take people's crap with a grain of salt. Lots of people will bad mouth a dealer because they basically wanted something for nothing, couldn't get it, so they Karen it up at the dealer. Sometimes the dealership's hands are tied on something by corporate and people blame the dealer much like a guy that chews out a waitress when the screw up was in the kitchen.

To be honest, I don't trust 99% of reviews of any product or service. Very few people rate or review things unless they got something bad to say or are bootlickers or paid shills. Lots of stuff if you look at review breakdowns shows almost all the reviews are 5 stars or 1 star and not a lot in between.
I absolutely agree!

· Registered
2 Posts
Hello all, new to the forum. I wanted to share my situation with my Pan America. I love the bike, it is very comfortable and fun to ride. Which makes this even worse in the case of being without my bike and hoping this doesn't happen again. So, in the first 12 days of owning my Pan Am, I put 920 miles on it. I bought it with 6 miles on it. Broke it in as the Owners Manual instructs. The failure. I was accelerating onto a Highway, 2nd gear, shifted into 3rd gear around 7,000 RPM, and the engine just died. Gauges and lights still on, no engine power. Rear tire did not lock up. I pulled the clutch in and coasted to the shoulder. Stopped, neutral, restart. Bike started but didn't want to idle. I gave it throttle and it started clacking and knocking so I immediately shut it off. I tow on the weekends as a side job so thankfully have my own roadside assistance 😎 Put the bike in my truck and took it to Harley the next day. I had my 1K service scheduled for that day coincidentally enough. They got to work very quickly, my sales guy and the service advisor both communicating with me very well and very eager to get me back on the road. On inspection, they find that the front Exhaust Cam sprocket had broken into multiple pieces. They reached out to Harley Corporate, Harley Corporate told the dealer to cease tear down because they want it in R&D for teardown and inspection, Harley Corporate authorized a new motor for my bike. Matching numbers and VIN stamped on a new motor should arrive this coming week after Christmas, and I am being told that I should be back on two wheels by the end of the week if all goes well. I am a parts manager for a body shop so I know supply lines are all screwed up from the Rona :cautious: I've attached some pictures for you of the carnage and the bike itself. I really like the bike, I have a friend who owns one and has had no mechanical issue from it. And I also follow a rider who does all kinds of stunts on his Pan Am. Wheelies, burnouts, offroad, jumps, and I have spoken with him. He has had no mechanical issues either. So hopefully this was just a bad fluke.
View attachment 820862 View attachment 820863 View attachment 820864 View attachment 820865 View attachment 820866 View attachment 820867
Hello all, new to the forum. I wanted to share my situation with my Pan America. I love the bike, it is very comfortable and fun to ride. Which makes this even worse in the case of being without my bike and hoping this doesn't happen again. So, in the first 12 days of owning my Pan Am, I put 920 miles on it. I bought it with 6 miles on it. Broke it in as the Owners Manual instructs. The failure. I was accelerating onto a Highway, 2nd gear, shifted into 3rd gear around 7,000 RPM, and the engine just died. Gauges and lights still on, no engine power. Rear tire did not lock up. I pulled the clutch in and coasted to the shoulder. Stopped, neutral, restart. Bike started but didn't want to idle. I gave it throttle and it started clacking and knocking so I immediately shut it off. I tow on the weekends as a side job so thankfully have my own roadside assistance 😎 Put the bike in my truck and took it to Harley the next day. I had my 1K service scheduled for that day coincidentally enough. They got to work very quickly, my sales guy and the service advisor both communicating with me very well and very eager to get me back on the road. On inspection, they find that the front Exhaust Cam sprocket had broken into multiple pieces. They reached out to Harley Corporate, Harley Corporate told the dealer to cease tear down because they want it in R&D for teardown and inspection, Harley Corporate authorized a new motor for my bike. Matching numbers and VIN stamped on a new motor should arrive this coming week after Christmas, and I am being told that I should be back on two wheels by the end of the week if all goes well. I am a parts manager for a body shop so I know supply lines are all screwed up from the Rona :cautious: I've attached some pictures for you of the carnage and the bike itself. I really like the bike, I have a friend who owns one and has had no mechanical issue from it. And I also follow a rider who does all kinds of stunts on his Pan Am. Wheelies, burnouts, offroad, jumps, and I have spoken with him. He has had no mechanical issues either. So hopefully this was just a bad fluke.
View attachment 820862 View attachment 820863 View attachment 820864 View attachment 820865 View attachment 820866 View attachment 820867
I'm curious, should the new engine have a new VIN otherwise how would you know it really has been changed?

The reason for my comment/question is that late in Dec 22 I got an oil light on my PAS when idling and low revs. I took it to my local H-D dealership and they started their investigation. Installing a new pressure sensor didn't help, so they started stripping the engine down. They found score marks in the oil pump and when removing the manifold in the right case, found the plug-in manifold missing. H-D recommended replacing the engine assembly and 3-4 wk later I got the bike back. I have absolutely no reason the disbelieve the dealership, however, I got a little suspicious when told that the new engine would NOT come with a new 2yr warranty, and to add to my concerns, the engine is making some strange noises that I'd heard before the oil light coming on.

I have absolutely no reason to disbelieve the details of the work order provided other than the fact I was surprised the new engine has the same VIN as the bike, which to me makes no sense. So is it true; a new engine stamped with a matching VIN?

One last comment - I've started to break the 'new' engine in as directed, and 'yes' oil light came back on for a short period of time although it's now gone out without re-occurrence. I mentioned this to the dealer and they asked to be kept up-to-date if it happens again, which is all well and good unless it happens again in a few months after the warranty has expired!

· American
34,202 Posts
Jesster, glad this has worked out for you. Great to hear a dealer stepped up and took care of the customer. Have too say I’ve had good luck with a couple of dealers here also.

Reactions: JessterLSX

· Registered
2 Posts
I'm curious, should the new engine have a new VIN otherwise how would you know it really has been changed?

The reason for my comment/question is that late in Dec 22 I got an oil light on my PAS when idling and low revs. I took it to my local H-D dealership and they started their investigation. Installing a new pressure sensor didn't help, so they started stripping the engine down. They found score marks in the oil pump and when removing the manifold in the right case, found the plug-in manifold missing. H-D recommended replacing the engine assembly and 3-4 wk later I got the bike back. I have absolutely no reason the disbelieve the dealership, however, I got a little suspicious when told that the new engine would NOT come with a new 2yr warranty, and to add to my concerns, the engine is making some strange noises that I'd heard before the oil light coming on.

I have absolutely no reason to disbelieve the details of the work order provided other than the fact I was surprised the new engine has the same VIN as the bike, which to me makes no sense. So is it true; a new engine stamped with a matching VIN?

One last comment - I've started to break the 'new' engine in as directed, and 'yes' oil light came back on for a short period of time although it's now gone out without re-occurrence. I mentioned this to the dealer and they asked to be kept up-to-date if it happens again, which is all well and good unless it happens again in a few months after the warranty has expired!

So please ignore my paranoia! I called another dealer to ask if a new replacement engine reomended by the factory techs would have the same VIN as the origional frame, and apparently that is the standard, and the reason they do that is simply to ensure there is no problem with the title, etc.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

Just to understand better, are you saying that yours did not come with a new warranty as in starting from the date of installation? My dealer confirmed that my new engine would still be covered under the factory warranty. But no it would not have a "new" warranty starting from that install date. I have been working for auto and motorcycle dealers/shops most of my life. That is the usual situation. If the vehicle is still under the factory warranty there is no, reset, on the factory warranty. However, if the vehicle is out of the factory warranty and a new engine or transmission is put in, there is normally a PARTS warranty. Meaning the engine/transmission itself will have a warranty if it fails, but not the labor. That is how it has normally worked from my experience on the job. Which is why I normally do my own work if the warranty is out 😄 Labor is too expensive to pay for hahaha.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts