Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Road King that just turned 20K miles. The dealer says the 20K service is about 8 hours (I think they rebuild it from scratch and repaint and rechrome it). I have never had anything go wrong with the bike, the dealer has done all the other services, and th bike runs fine. I think it's ok to just change the fluids and forget the other 7.5 hours of labor.
Any comments?

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
allikanbe... I just looked at the RK service manual and it appears the 20K service is almost identical to the 1000 mile break-in service. Only diffs are the spark plugs are replaced versus inspected, the steering head bearings are adjusted, the bushings inspected, maybe another item or two. My experience with break-in services are they take about three hours. Maybe four. If we toss in another hour for the extra 20K items, I'm struggling with how it takes eight hours to complete. I'm thinking five at the max. The manual shows what is performed at the 20K. If you're comfortable with tranny fluid change, etc. see no reason why it couldn't be done yourself and not have an eight hour service bill.

·
Livn' On Bonus Years
155 Posts
I think the 20k also calls for the fork oil to be changed. I change mine at 30k.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
<<< includes fork oil and brake fluid in "fluids" changed at least annually

·
Administrator
13,485 Posts
4 of those hours are the "sitting in the corner until they get around to it" time. Don't forget the all important 5 minute detail job they always seem so proud of.

Get a manual, a decent set of tools and a buddy whose done it before.

·
Livn' On Bonus Years
155 Posts
4 of those hours are the "sitting in the corner until they get around to it" time. Don't forget the all important 5 minute detail job they always seem so proud of.

Yep, paid for the first one or two services. Since I was a kid I always wrenched dirt bike and cars. Did several self services on the ground and with a Larin lift, saved enough to buy me a Handy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the service done on Monday. The ticket says 7 hours labor, 6 qts Syn3, gaskets, plugs, yadda yadda = $600.
This is an expensive hobby - but less than the Ducati!

·
Livn' On Bonus Years
155 Posts
Got the service done on Monday. The ticket says 7 hours labor, 6 qts Syn3, gaskets, plugs, yadda yadda = $600.

Almost would cover the cost for Handy lift..... You could do it yourself and know it was done instead of them saying they did everthing on the list.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tech Daze

On one of the other bike sites I am on, someone often sponsers a tech daze (tech day) so the "unknowing" can gather around the "knowing" and learn how to do relatively minor bike operations - fluid changes, new tires, lights, etc.
If I saw how to do it once, I could probably do a few minor things. As it is, I know how to start the bike, ride the bike, stop the bike, and pay for the bike. I need to find someone who owns a harley and learn how to do this stuff. Too bad harleys are so rare. :)

·
1,081 Posts
Next time take a ride north:ride to my garage, I'll do it for $550 and throw in a beer or two:D

·
Livn' On Bonus Years
155 Posts
I do my brothers Dyna. We end up needing the 5k service around the same time. He buys the fluids for both bikes and I do the service. He gets his bike serviced for the cost of the fluids to do mine. Works out for both of us.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2004 Road King that just turned 20K miles. The dealer says the 20K service is about 8 hours (I think they rebuild it from scratch and repaint and rechrome it). I have never had anything go wrong with the bike, the dealer has done all the other services, and th bike runs fine. I think it's ok to just change the fluids and forget the other 7.5 hours of labor.
Any comments?
Get the manual and do it yourself. Easy. Be sure to check critical fastener torques.

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
My buddy has a 1991 FLHS since new with 135,000 miles on it and has never changed the fork oil or brake fluid. He's also still running the same clutch and belt.He drives the bike easy and does all the recommended oil changes using Mobil 15/50 syn car oil and $2.00 Dodge omi car oil filters that he paints black.
His bike has never been to the stealer's for any reason since new.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Lucky you, the dealers in Houston want $895 for the 20k service. I will be doing it myself.:pull

·
Registered
166 Posts

O my g-d, you are so right. When I called the HD deal to see if my bike was ready, they said yes, come on down, we just want to clean it. (I had an oil change done, bike was clean when I brought it in). I pick up the bike, theres a guy there smiling, gets me my bike and says, look how nice it looks, I just cleaned it. Yes he did, but he left all the water spots on all the chrome. I said thank you very politly, took it home and polished the chrome again!

I think next time, maybe I should tell them not to clean it and I will take care of it latter?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I looked in My Harley manual when it was time for a 20K service and my dealer said they had to change the fork oil, However, the manual says that it needs to be changed at 50k. I think the dealers are ripping us on these services...Bldr

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi All.
I also like to do my own servicing BUT...........
How do you get on with warranty issues in the USA ?
Here in the UK, they won't honour the warranty unless the book is stamped by the service dept.

My RK custom is nearly 2 years old and they are now bugging me to pay for the extended warranty (never had any trouble with bike) so what do you think ?

Ride safe.
Rowle.

·
Registered
42,926 Posts
In the US, we have the Moss Magnuson warranty act, a federal consumer protection law which basically says that if you can show that you performed the scheduled maintenances, the manufacturer can not void your warranty.

"Stamps? We don't need no stiiiinking stamps!"

As far as your extended maintenance, I think you've already answered your own question. You've had no problems with your bike, you like to do your own servicing, by doing so, you'll be assured the servicing was done to your own satisfaction, and you won't be held ransom to some guy with a rubber stamp.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts