Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change out my stock 21 inch rim to a 16 inch Fat Daddy 50 spoke rim on my 2000 FXDWG. The local dealer told me it can't be done - he's full of shit! I've seen it done

My question is: has anyone here done it? if so what was involved? also if u have pics I would like to see them.

I know the spacers will need to be changed and was concerned about clearance issues with the brake caliper.

Thanks,

Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes this can be done. Unfortunately, a lot of the guys that work at the Harley dealerships are very ignorant of what can and cannot be done. Your best bet is to contact Ride Wright by phone or Email. Their website is ridewrightwheels.com and their phone# is (714) 632-8297. These guys will be able to tell you exactly what you need to know about fitment issues.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Of course it can be done... but this is not the kind of work that is cost-effective for a dealership to take in... so that's their way of turning it down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes this can be done. Unfortunately, a lot of the guys that work at the Harley dealerships are very ignorant of what can and cannot be done. Your best bet is to contact Ride Wright by phone or Email. Their website is ridewrightwheels.com and their phone# is (714) 632-8297. These guys will be able to tell you exactly what you need to know about fitment issues.
Thanks for the replies, I will contact them

·
COB
1,984 Posts
It's kinda warping my mind trying to envision a 16 on a DWG

·
Registered
39,570 Posts
You mean something kinda like this?

;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
to carry this further, i am wanting to convert my 09 street bob from the 19" to a 16" front wheel. would be be possible by replaceing the bearings and sleeve with the street bob componets into any of the 16" front spoke wheels? would my rotor and brake assembly still mount up and clear?

·
Registered
10 Posts
www.Liquidchoppers.com follow their links for changing wheel sizes , they have it broken down by models

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Only if the street-bob's center-to-center fork stance is the same as the glides. I'm not positive that HD used a true "Wide GLide" fork width on those bikes with 19" front wheels.
It's kind of a weird wheel too. Even though the wheel looks symmetrical the disk on one side sticks out about 1/16th of an inch further than the other side. Enough to cause one to scratch their head at the braking problem after the kid at Cycle Gear puts the tire on backwards. No combo of spacers can fix this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
my cure to dropping from the 19 to the 16 wheel. i've purchased a 16" band., after it is powder coated i'm having my orginal spool laced back in with ss twisted spokes. that way there is no changing of spacers, no worries about the axle and no worries about the brake hookup. add a v-rod front fender, some flat black paint and this should be the simplest way to change it over.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You mean something kinda like this?

;)
Those loot like fat bob lowers- is the wheel off a v rod? I want to do something similar to mine. The 90 series front tire and harley single disc front leave a whole lot to be desired in cornering and braking. The other question, once you've found a compatible front wheel, is what wheel will fit on the rear and match the wheel you put on the front?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts