Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 king flhr. I still have the factory 16 on it. I wondering what all I need to replace it with a 21. Besides the obvious. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
37,595 Posts
Just the wheel and tire afaik. The fork lowers are the same on my FXST w/21" wheel and a FLST w/16" wheel, so brake mounts are in the same spot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm having trouble. Because I have found a few wheels I like. That says they fit my bike. But they say they are single rotors and I have double.

·
South GA Redneck
3,897 Posts
You will also more than likely have to raise the fender with some adapters to keep from rubbing fender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
weird member
2,061 Posts
I've seen twin cam RKs with 21" front wheels, and all the ones I saw converted to 21" have dual disk brakes.

Just out of curiosity, I only found two 21" wheels for a 99 FLHR on J&P, both made by V-Twin Manf., one of which said specifically "no provisions made for brake, custom use only" and the other didn't mention anything about it, but didn't look like it had provisions for brakes either.

You can't always trust fitment listed on some websites either. Some may just be comparing the hub width, tire width and axle diameter with the original, and there are a lot of models and changes between years or versions of the same model, so sometimes places can get fitment listings a little wrong.

Quick Google search pulled up some shopping options that claim dual disk.

So, you have a few options as far as finding wheels. Obviously the easiest route is to just look at dual disk wheels for one you like. Or, you could try to make a single disk work (and I don't know what that might take).

You could also look at the wheels you do like that are single disk and look up the manufacturer directly to see if they made the same wheel in a dual disk version.

Screenshot_20200224-135807.png

·
South GA Redneck
3,897 Posts
Dual disc wheels for the early 00’s touring bikes will fit. You just have to change the bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is a pic of my RK with a 21.if you add the fender extender get ready for a whiskey dent on the top from the triple tree an brake valve.drill out the fender holes with a 3/8 bit an tilt it from the back an all is good.2nd picture is with the fender extender.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts