Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so for some reason my local shop and most everyone I talk to act amazed that I stretched 25K out of my front stock tire. I was happy but wasn't really as amazed as everyone else. I maintain air pressure and ride nothing special. I will say that I can definitely tell the difference with the new one. Now I will see if the next one lasts as long.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,761 Posts
On my '04 I had right at 28K on front tire when the bike got trashed by the nice lady in the SUV. On my '11 Ultra, I got 28K out of front and back tires (changed in anticipation of a trip that got scrubbed or would have kept them for a few thousand more miles). Recent tires have about 18K on them and still in the green on the tire gauge. All stock Dunnies. BTW, also had a riding buddy get over 30K on his Dunnies....also changed for same cancelled trip. It can be done.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have 21,500 on mine & still have rubber left. I replaced the wheel with a 21 inch, so a new tire was installed. Pretty sure I could get another couple of K out of it. Also a 13 SG. Must have been a good year for Dunlop rubber.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,761 Posts
It has to be something they are doing different, because I have never gotten more than 13K out of any rear tire before.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've had better service with Dunlops than any of the several other brands I have tried. I just look for the best deal, which is usually right near home, keep my money as local as possible, but don't shop for anything except Dunlops.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
I would be very happy with that.

·
Registered
11,546 Posts
It has to be something they are doing different, because I have never gotten more than 13K out of any rear tire before.
Just recently put a new Dunlop AE on the rear of my '13 RGC. Had 14,2xx miles, could have gotten a few thousand more but had a slow leak and just replaced it. Front still looks real good--no cupping, even wear.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem I have is the rear tire I've gone thru two and am close to needing another. FML I need to control that twist of the throttle, but I love the feel and the sound.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Huh. I have 27K on the original front on my Softail.

·
Aaaaayyyyy
897 Posts
I had about 28K on my front stock tire when I had it replaced. Tread was still good. I replaced it due to some cracks I had noticed forming around the wheel.

·
Retired citizen
24,103 Posts
The thing with the front tires is that even tho the tread is still there the tire can be drastically out of balance. It's a good policy to have the front tire re-balanced every time the rear tire gets replaced even tho the front tire isn't.
Depending on riding habits the front tire tread can last 2-4 times longer than the rear tire can, BUT tire balance is compromised.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Remember when reading about "Dunlop" mileage, that Dunlop makes many different motorcycle tire compounds, with drastically different mileage and performance characteristics. You can't compare a D402 against a D407, as one is a dual compound and one isn't, then there's the K__'s, and the Elite's, and on and on. :blahblah:

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,116 Posts
I've got about 20K on my front now, still looks pretty good, I think I got about 13K out of the rear tire, I could probably have pushed it to 15K but was going on several trips, decided not to mess with it.

·
TGPNW
640 Posts
Okay so for some reason my local shop and most everyone I talk to act amazed that I stretched 25K out of my front stock tire. I was happy but wasn't really as amazed as everyone else. I maintain air pressure and ride nothing special. I will say that I can definitely tell the difference with the new one. Now I will see if the next one lasts as long.
I believe that front tire wear is mostly through breaking, just may be your riding style that your front tire lasts that long.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I believe that tread depth should not be the only criterion used in making the decision to replace a tire. Rubber ages and loses resiliency and grip as well as some integrity over time. The tread shoulders become more like "corners" and the transition from vertical riding to leaning into corners becomes more abrupt. The improvement in handling is well worth "leaving a little meat on the bone", IMHO.

--

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,761 Posts
Just did a 25K service on a buddy's '11 Ultra. Original tires with just over 25K miles and still good rubber front and back according to my trusty Harley Davidson official tire depth gauge. Schmidty, will take your advice and pull his front and check balance when he comes back around.

·
Banned
223 Posts
I've got about 22K on the stock rear on my 2012 FLHTC, and I'm about ready for a new one. I'm lucky if I get 1K out of any tire on my 2001 with the S&S 124. I loves me some throttle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts