Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to change the oil on my 2013 iron 883. Autozone sells 20w50 oil and looks just as good as the Harley-Brand oil.

Should I give it a go or stick with the Harley Brand?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Looking to change the oil on my 2013 iron 883. Autozone sells 20w50 oil and looks just as good as the Harley-Brand oil.

My local grocery store sells 20w50 oil as well, but I don;t know what's its quality is by looking at it.

How does one look at oil, and determine that it's "as good as"? :)

If it's Mobili-1 Motorcycle rated oil, than yes, it's actually better than Syn3, IMHO.

Not all 20w50 oil is created equal. Use quality. Save money elsewhere.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As a new poster, I should tell you that you have asked The most common question on any Harley Forum.
Every forum has dozens of what oil should I use threads. Do a search and acquaint yourself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My local grocery store sells 20w50 oil as well, but I don;t know what's its quality is by looking at it.

How does one look at oil, and determine that it's "as good as"? :)

If it's Mobili-1 Motorcycle rated oil, than yes, it's actually better than Syn3, IMHO.

Not all 20w50 oil is created equal. Use quality. Save money elsewhere.
It's Castrol 20w50, can't imagine it will be a bad thing. I mean it costs pretty much the same, but It saves me an hour drive with traffic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum. As a new poster, I should tell you that you have asked The most common question on any Harley Forum.
Every forum has dozens of what oil should I use threads. Do a search and acquaint yourself.
I bet it is, definitely should have searched for info.

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
Oil, buy a name brand that is 20w-50 and designed for V-twins, it's that easy. Mobile 1, Lucas, Amsoil, Royal Purple and all the other name brands meet or exceed the requirements.

You may find a brand you prefer, but they all get the job done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oil, buy a name brand that is 20w-50 and designed for V-twins, it's that easy. Mobile 1, Lucas, Amsoil, Royal Purple and all the other name brands meet or exceed the requirements.

You may find a brand you prefer, but they all get the job done.
Thanks, will give it a go then .

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Look at the little STAR SHIELD on Harleys oil , see the small letters in there .
Now go look at your cheap oil , does it have the same letters in the star shield ?
If it does your good to go , if it doesn't your screwed !

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I see you're in Chicago, unless you are going to ride a bunch here in the next month or so, I'd think about 10w40 oil. It gets pretty cold in Chicago. At any rate 20w 50 10w 40, make sure it is rated for the job at hand.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Look at the little STAR SHIELD on Harleys oil , see the small letters in there .
Now go look at your cheap oil , does it have the same letters in the star shield ?
If it does your good to go , if it doesn't your screwed !
Not exactly cheap, I'm not trying to skimp on quality either, just tired of paying extra for the HD branding if it's nothing more than regular oil. Not talking about the synthetic, I'm talking about regular petroleum based oils.

last time I went to the dealer they charged me 485 for its first oil change, They sold me on the idea that it will void my warranty if I didn't.

Unfortunately, i don't have a bottle on hand of the Harley, if I did I would have just bought the 3 quarts and called it a day, but like i aid i was trying to avoid am unnecessary trip, especially if Auto Zone across the street has 20w50 oil.

That being said, I don't have access to a Harley oil bottle, so what letters should the Castrol/Mobil1 bottle say?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I`ve never seen a post or heard of anyone who had and engine failure or premature engine wear, using any type or brand of 20w50...

I`ve never seen any unusual wear caused by an oil failure on any engine I have torn down, no matter what oil was used.

The part of the engine that is hardest on oil is the valve train, and these engines use roller tappets, which eliminates the biggest problem area, the contact between the cam and lifter.

In my opinion, any 20w50 will give the Harley engine all the protection it needs.

·
Registered
1 Posts

My 2013 owners manual says this about oil-

If necessary and H-D 360 is not available, add oil certified for diesel engines. Acceptable designations include: CH-4, CI-4 and CJ-4. The preferred viscosities, in descending order are: 20W50, 15W40 and 10W40.

Look for a 20w-50 that has any of the diesel approvals, CH-4, CI-4 or CJ-4.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My Owners manual from 2000 says to use oil certified for diesel engines - acceptable diesel oil designations - CE - CF - CF-4 - CG-4

Also I use 20-50W all the time without a problem and I live near Chicago

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
If there is an O'Reilly parts store jn your area, they usually carry Mobil 1 V-Twin full synthetic, rated for air-cooled engines. One might think that Autozone would carry that also. Cycle Gear stores carry V-twin oil options also.

--

1 - 14 of 14 Posts