Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really enjoying riding my Limited now, it's "just right" for the kind of riding I prefer.

Off to France after the 5000 service (and recall inspection for brake lines), I'm puzzled by two things:

1. Anyone else suffering from rusty insides of the mufflers, particularly the rhs one? They seem perfectly designed to collect rainwater, which isn't an issue when I get home, but is when I'm out and about. Any solutions? Or warranty claim?

2. Now I'm happy I can import custom destinations from Mapsource via the USB and a flash drive (it seems okay to import four or five a time, but if I try to import all the ones I'm interested in, I get a whole variety of error messages) - how do I delete them when I'm no longer interested in them?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have a '12 Limited and do have rust inside on both sides. I've seen others with the same thing, so I assume it's normal.

And it's not from just sitting idle collecting rainwater. I put on about 10,000 - 12,000 per year on mine.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Hot exhaust will collect condensation when it cools, how much depends on the humidity in the air. Thats why if you watch a car tail pipe, when its first started it will warm up and start spitting water. Its just surface rust, nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2. Now I'm happy I can import custom destinations from Mapsource via the USB and a flash drive (it seems okay to import four or five a time, but if I try to import all the ones I'm interested in, I get a whole variety of error messages) - how do I delete them when I'm no longer interested in them?
I could always press the "trashcan" button, I suppose.
<in the "saved" menu>
:think

5110 miles now, service Tuesday, France Saturday. :)

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
For the insides of your mufflers...a quick spray down the throat with WD40 oil after bike has cooled will prevent the rust. Do this just once in a while and allow it to set for a bit before riding again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts