Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has just over 5,000 miles. I stopped in the dealer today to see how much the 5,000 mile service would be. I told him I did my own fluid changes (I just changed oil to Mobil One V-Twin, tranny to Spectro Platinum 6-Speed), and the primary was changed at the 1,000 mile service so it's not even due. He gave me a list of things they would do besides the fluid changes, and frankly, he told me that at 5,000 miles, it probably wouldn't amount to much more than a visual inspection of things. Then he said, without the oil changes, it would still be $170! My question is.....how important is this service, since I just did my own fluid changes myself? The only thing I would like checked was the spokes in my wheels, because I have spoked rims. That wasn't even on his list. I'm thinking about just skipping this. Your thoughts?

·
Mississippi Cajun
23,961 Posts
There are a few items on the 5K checklist I'd pay attention to, and I'll give you an example of why I follow the book pretty closely. There is one section called "Critical Fasteners":. Several years ago, just before we were to take off on a month long cross country trip, I did the 5K on a buddy's Ultra. One of those items were the bolts that connect the front and rear frame sections. Got to the left side and all 3 bolts were just hanging there under the cover....someone at the factory sorta forgot to tighten them and/or apply locktite. Sure would have been a nasty set of events had the frame separated at 70 mph. And that's just one of the things you need to be checking.
My suggestion as always is to invest in a HD service manual for your model bike and purchase the few necessary tools you'll need to do the maintenance. You probably have most of them anyway. The money you will save and the peace of mind you will have is worth every penny.

·
Registered
10,718 Posts
What KD said... The book and critical fasteners. Oh yea a tube of Blue Loctite.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,067 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to HD's checklist, the "critical fasteners" don't get checked until the 10,000 mile service.
Anyway, right now, I'm shopping for prices. Dealer wanted $170, but I've found a couple "indys" (both former HD employees) who are under $100 for the service. Still thinking about either skipping it until the 10,000 mile service, or doing it myself. Most items just seem to be an "inspect" thing anyway.

·
Banned
71 Posts
My bike has just over 5,000 miles. I stopped in the dealer today to see how much the 5,000 mile service would be. I told him I did my own fluid changes (I just changed oil to Mobil One V-Twin, tranny to Spectro Platinum 6-Speed), and the primary was changed at the 1,000 mile service so it's not even due. He gave me a list of things they would do besides the fluid changes, and frankly, he told me that at 5,000 miles, it probably wouldn't amount to much more than a visual inspection of things. Then he said, without the oil changes, it would still be $170! My question is.....how important is this service, since I just did my own fluid changes myself? The only thing I would like checked was the spokes in my wheels, because I have spoked rims. That wasn't even on his list. I'm thinking about just skipping this. Your thoughts?
Take that 170 bucks and buy you a MoCo service Manual along with the Parts Book and Electrical Manual .

If you do not have a good set of tools, now is the time to use the monies that you WOULD of spent on Dealer service, to buy you some GOOD tools and maybe a jack or lift too. :thumbsup

:coffee:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts