Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The dude abides
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this up at my local O'Reilly auto parts. Perfect fit, good price, works with either a 3/8" ratchet or 1" box wrench.

FYI.

Edit - and never mind. Fits the filter fine, but not enough clearance between the filter and the block, and it won't slip onto the end of the filter currently in place. I'm gonna try and grind down the lip which is in the way.

Attachments

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
That's why I use a small strap wrench. Cheap and effective. (Just like me :laugh)

--

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I bought one of these recently on ebay for about $17. It did the job but at times was still a little tight getting it passed the stator plug(?). I've seen those k&N filters that have the nut on the end of them. Seems like a smarter idea all around.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I picked this up at my local O'Reilly auto parts. Perfect fit, good price, works with either a 3/8" ratchet or 1" box wrench.

FYI.

Edit - and never mind. Fits the filter fine, but not enough clearance between the filter and the block, and it won't slip onto the end of the filter currently in place. I'm gonna try and grind down the lip which is in the way.
I ground about two inches of the rim off of mine, works great now . :thumbsup

·
FXSTI
58 Posts
I just use a cheap strap style with a plastic handle. I don't remember paying much more than about 5 buck for it. I don't put my oil filters on that tight anyway, so my cheap strap works pretty good.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've tried just about every freek'n thing out there. Finally bought the one from the MoCo with the cut out in it for the sensor. Works like a champ. They actually got it right the first time. :rollin

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
I've tried just about every freek'n thing out there. Finally bought the one from the MoCo with the cut out in it for the sensor. Works like a champ. They actually got it right the first time. :rollin

This is by far the best. I've tried four different styles.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,601 Posts
Used the strap wrench for years. Bought the MOCO cutout version and it works fine, too, but prefer the strap wrench.

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
There's only one position that I can get the strap to work. I guess if I got to know that spot well enough, it'd be ok. But you can still only turn it a 16th of a turn at a time. The cup wrench you can turn as fast as you can ratchet.

I'm not trying to convince you, kd. I'm just blown away by your post.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,601 Posts
I should have known to expect that from you guys. What buddies. Seriously, All I need is for the filter to break loose, and it's then very easy to spin it off. And yes, I am now ready for the expected "spin-offs" from that remark.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Use the filters with the nut on the end. I then take a 16oz coke or pepsi bottle, cut out the bottom, then slit it up from the bottom to the cap neck and remove half, that way I can slip that under the filter and remove it and the hacked up bottle acts like a funnel and the waste oil runs in to my drain pan, and doesnt make so much mess. Thats what I do anyway.

K&N High Performance Chrome Wrench-Off Oil Filter | 740-472 | J&P Cycles

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts