Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
My best riding buddy and I have been road tripping together for 20 years. We like to find a motel near a jiffy store and some fast food joints. Once we park, we don't get back on till morning. We are not on a gourmet journey, just beers and easy food. Some guys we have ridden with will ride 20 miles for dinner. Just in case we find ourselves in a dry town/county we carry some good brown whisky with us.
I agree - cold beer is #1 then if there is a convenience store close I will have a couple hot dogs if that is all thats available and really live it up if they have mustard too. Cold beer and cold hot dogs, what a great country.
First thing I put in my saddle bag when I got my bike was a half dozen little booze bottles with whisky, vodka and tequila.
"A man has to know his limits."

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,135 Posts
One of the great contributions of the booze industry has been the introduction of those plastic half gallon jugs that are just so handy to pack in saddle bags for long trips. Even the mixers come in plastic these days. Delivery pizza right to your motel room, a couple of drinks after a hard day in the saddle..I'm ready to go right now!! BTW, you can pour the "good stuff" into those plastic bottles after use and thorough cleaning.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
One of the great contributions of the booze industry has been the introduction of those plastic half gallon jugs that are just so handy to pack in saddle bags for long trips. Even the mixers come in plastic these days. Delivery pizza right to your motel room, a couple of drinks after a hard day in the saddle..I'm ready to go right now!! BTW, you can pour the "good stuff" into those plastic bottles after use and thorough cleaning.
Good man - I like your way of thinking.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
There was even a TV series in 1969 with that same theme. A lot of you guys know what it was. The star rode a sportster.
was just talking about that show at work today my wife met the star and got a autograph at the store she worked at in Wamsutter WY was great story

·
Registered
35 Posts
Great read, thanks for the link.
Been riding for years and traveled further than one state over. This year wife and I both bought new street glides. Planning a trip to Tennessee and north carolina to ride the snake. I would love to ride rt 66 and pacific coast hwy as well as the black hills. Being from Pa I really miss the mountians.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Did a coast to coast and back in Canada. Going through the prairies I was getting board with the chalk line straight road so I was weaving in and out of the dotted lines. A RCMP highway patrol stopped me and the cop asked me just what the hell did I think I was doing. I asked him if the dotted line ment it was OK to pass. He said yes I said then I was passing, he asked just what wasi passing and I said the dot. He said. You are not from here are you, I said nope we have curves in the road where I come from to keep you awake. He told me to carry on but I had better not be passing any more dots.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The last two summers I've been lucky enough to tour for three weeks to a month at a time. The 50 hints are right on for the most part. Last summer was west and Sturgis, this year is White Mountains and upper state New York.
Bill

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,052 Posts
I'm bumping this thread because I finally feel semi-qualified to post in in it. Ever since I got my first Harley ( God, how I love to say that out loud...) and found this forum, I developed a serious case of the wanderlust that I had to suppress for valid reasons. Things finally evolved to the point where I was able to make a trip with a fellow road dog that qualified me to contribute to this thread and attest to much of the wisdom published in the linked article. So much truth. So much soul enrichment. My original tag line here was "Find a Way." That's the best best contribution I can make to anybody who dreams of this kind of road trip. Find a way.

--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
bumb

Thanks for bumping this thread wife and I just got back from a Sunday ride (300miles round trip) and I was whishing didn't have to go to work tomorrow could just keep going

·
Mountain Rider
1,338 Posts
From my experience riding out west in 2015 I found the 50 tips or hints to be very spot on. The 3 of us did about 6500 miles in 3 weeks and had a ball. We did wash a load of clothes one time but I also threw out socks and underwear and bought new at Walmart. Saves time LOL. My only problem was the 2 guys I rode with did not enjoy a beer or 2 after riding the way I did. They rarely took a drink and did not subscribe to my plan of staying in motels where they have a restaurant and BAR if possible or at least within walking distance. We rode to Colorado first, (from NC). then Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota, then back to NC. Great trip and I will always remember it and will always have that bond with the 2 guys that rode with me. Each night in the motel or hotel we would decide where to go to next day and my job was to check the weather, another to check lodging. We kinda all 3 decided on the route. Fun stuff for sure. I made a video so our time out there and it is the second one below, just click the link of the one marked My favorite so far.

·
The Ride of Life
441 Posts
First, just do it....don't over think it.

Three times coast to coast (and back) and once all the way around the periphery of the United States.

Brother B's thoughts -
It's better if you do it with like minded friends.
Leave the wives/GF's at home, unless she is a real trooper, it's better if she rides her own bike.
Camp two nights, then stay a night in a Motel. (clean up, what have you)
Plan on 300 miles a day. Slow down smell the roses. Check out the local towns. Real treasure to be found there.
For better acceptance everywhere try to look non threatening. No colors/patches. Try to look like a friendly motorcyclist.

Put the worry aside. You'll come back in one piece. The motorcycle won't give you any problems, but start with new tires, fix anything that's getting worn. There are great shops from coast to coast, just try not to need them. Visits are fun.

Enjoy it!

-BB

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
That was a fun read. I like the point regarding a few days camping and then a motel for clean-up and a different sort of R&R.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
From my experience riding out west in 2015 I found the 50 tips or hints to be very spot on. The 3 of us did about 6500 miles in 3 weeks and had a ball. We did wash a load of clothes one time but I also threw out socks and underwear and bought new at Walmart. Saves time LOL. My only problem was the 2 guys I rode with did not enjoy a beer or 2 after riding the way I did. They rarely took a drink and did not subscribe to my plan of staying in motels where they have a restaurant and BAR if possible or at least within walking distance. We rode to Colorado first, (from NC). then Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota, then back to NC. Great trip and I will always remember it and will always have that bond with the 2 guys that rode with me. Each night in the motel or hotel we would decide where to go to next day and my job was to check the weather, another to check lodging. We kinda all 3 decided on the route. Fun stuff for sure. I made a video so our time out there and it is the second one below, just click the link of the one marked My favorite so far.
Thanks for the video...Makes me want to go now!

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,664 Posts
First thing I put in my saddle bag when I got my bike was a half dozen little booze bottles with whisky, vodka and tequila.
Lov it !!
Freakin aristotle or what .... :laughing

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cross Country on a Harley

Loved your "Favorite" video. Back in 2013 I did a solo trip on a Honda Goldwing trike from Titusville Florida to Key West (southern most part of the USA), then over to Texas, continuing North to the Dakota's (Sturgis) then West thru Montana, Idaho and into Washington where I boarded the Alaskan Ferry system in Bellingham. Spent a month in Alaska (had friends in Ankorage) and had my trike shipped on Alaska Air Cargo to Seattle where I continued south, my initial goal to visit as many National Parks as I could get in. I actually visited 28 NP's (you may remember about that time our government shut down and most of the National Parks were closed. Some kept the gates open so you could still ride thru. I rode to the Southern end of California, zig-zagged back and forth thru Nevada, Arizona, Utah,Wyoming. Colorado,New Mexico then stopped in Texas to visit a friend before heading back to Florida. Originally left Florida in June and returned in December, 16,000 worry free miles on the Goldwing. Took lots of photos with my Nikon, submitted a travelogue to WingWorld Magazine which got published. My only regret is I didn't have a video camera on my Helmet. Your video is great. What kind of video camera did you use?

·
Old Phart
63 Posts
When I was 17, I had an old BMW R-26 (I think, 600cc) and a good amount of savings. I planned a year-long trip around the USA before entering the Army.
Started in Missouri, made it to El Paso, met a lil' Mexican gal who hated me at first sight.
After we were married, we ended up as a military family in Germany, where I bought and rode (illegally) a Suzuki 1100 all around Europe.
Never did finish my road trip, I'm retired, now's the time. Just not a year long!
Starting in the spring, I am neither stupid nor crazy.
After my Sportster becomes a Tourster. I am not Bronson, either.
Lots of back roads, chill and relax, enjoy the ride.
I'll have to avoid states that won't honor my carry permit, though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great read, thanks for the link.
Been riding for years and traveled further than one state over. This year wife and I both bought new street glides. Planning a trip to Tennessee and north carolina to ride the snake. I would love to ride rt 66 and pacific coast hwy as well as the black hills. Being from Pa I really miss the mountians.
I'm from pa... I'll give theese mountains up in a heartbeat just to be some other place.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts