Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just hit my end of break-in period and I love it. I followed the law pretty closely so I'm glad it's over! I went on an awesome ride today, and got another mod! Pics coming soon!:bike-038:

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Sweet........keep the shiny side up!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Well, I just hit my end of break-in period and I love it. I followed the law pretty closely so I'm glad it's over! I went on an awesome ride today, and got another mod! Pics coming soon!:bike-038:
Good for you, nice to have the break in done I'm sure.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Congrats on completing the break-in!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think I'm at 800+ miles on my 2013 SG.

I did not pay attention to the "law" of break in, nor did I read it ... since the bike was given a Stage II upgrade and remapped on the dyno. I'm sure they violated the designated rpm limit some where along the line. :)

Anyway, I did what I always do with a new bike. I ride like I always do. Back roads, different rpms on accelerations, a bit of Slab, bit o'town roads ......... heavy accelerations, too. Rode it like I stole it.

I don't understand dicking around with a bike that Harley ran to high rpms and such when they built it. I don't "break in" my cars. Why would I do so with a Harley? And ... with the handful of HDs I've purchased or had built, I've never had a problem. Yes, I don't ride 1000 miles at 65 on the Slab, or 42 on back roads. I just ride the dang thang !

And, my 2013 SG seems just fine with that recipe. As have all the other HDs I've owned. Go figure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
agreed Baggerdude, my opinion for break in : rule #1 don't hold a constant RPM #2 don't get it too hot .... other than that...let er rip

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts

I did not pay attention to the "law" of break in, nor did I read it ... since the bike was given a Stage II upgrade and remapped on the dyno. I'm sure they violated the designated rpm limit some where along the line. :)

Anyway, I did what I always do with a new bike. I ride like I always do. Back roads, different rpms on accelerations, a bit of Slab, bit o'town roads ......... heavy accelerations, too. Rode it like I stole it.

I don't understand dicking around with a bike that Harley ran to high rpms and such when they built it. I don't "break in" my cars. Why would I do so with a Harley? And ... with the handful of HDs I've purchased or had built, I've never had a problem. Yes, I don't ride 1000 miles at 65 on the Slab, or 42 on back roads. I just ride the dang thang !

And, my 2013 SG seems just fine with that recipe. As have all the other HDs I've owned. Go figure.

I agree 100%... Ride it normal, vary your speeds and rpms, and don't use the Cruise Control.

agreed Baggerdude, my opinion for break in : rule #1 don't hold a constant RPM #2 don't get it too hot .... other than that...let er rip
:thumb

·
Registered
614 Posts
Ive read that the rings get seated better if you hammer on it a little right out of the box, in other words dont be afraid to goose it a bit during the breakin period. Supposingly this will help the bike burn less oil and have a tighter engine down the road.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Interesting! I sure hope my bike will last me without any issues. I tend to be a bit obsessive-compulsive with my vehicles - cars too! I carefully broke in my 2011 Mustang 5.0 - I'm just afraid of breaking something. I need to rid that mentality!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you say, don't let it get too hot? Do you mean, don't let the "air pump of back cylinder" kick in? I did that twice during the break-in, but really couldn't help it. I was stuck in traffic. I hope that doesn't affect anything.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That should not affect anything, the air pump was doing what it is supposed to do. I try to avoid too much idle time but sometimes it can't be helped. I also suspect that your ambiant air temp. is just a little bit warmer than where i live {about 300 miles north of Seattle, Washington} we are still avoiding mountain passes here....it snowed up high last night again :{ it's a beautiful place to live but DAMN I wish i had your riding season. Chris

·
Registered
85 Posts
Interesting! I sure hope my bike will last me without any issues. I tend to be a bit obsessive-compulsive with my vehicles - cars too! I carefully broke in my 2011 Mustang 5.0 - I'm just afraid of breaking something. I need to rid that mentality!
I would rather have something let go while its under warranty

·
Señor Member
19,599 Posts

You'd have more if you'd just keep your fob in your pocket. :ducking

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
The shop told me to do 1k but I broke my Dyna in for 2K miles. My buddy bought a dyna same time same stage 1 kit but he was told to ride it like normal for the first 1k. Well, my bike started clean and never puffed any smoke and ran like a raped ape through the next 4 years. His bike puffed blue smoke every time he startes it and it's not as strong.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The shop told me to do 1k but I broke my Dyna in for 2K miles. My buddy bought a dyna same time same stage 1 kit but he was told to ride it like normal for the first 1k. Well, my bike started clean and never puffed any smoke and ran like a raped ape through the next 4 years. His bike puffed blue smoke every time he startes it and it's not as strong.
So you followed the break-in period rules for the first 2,000 miles (not going over 3.5k revs and not going a constant speed for long periods of time)? That must have been hard. How exactly did your buddy drive his the first 1k miles?

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
So you followed the break-in period rules for the first 2,000 miles (not going over 3.5k revs and not going a constant speed for long periods of time)? That must have been hard. How exactly did your buddy drive his the first 1k miles?
Yes, I doubled my suggested break-in period. I lived in Salt Lake City at the time and it was easy, and I burned it off in less than 2 months. My buddy did no real warm-up and then rode it like he stole it. He left me in the dust all the time. I basicly didn't ride with him during the break-in because I don't reem my machines. His bike developed and maintained a little puff of blue smoke after 800 miles. He still has it with 32k on it now and it still puffs. Since he quit smoking 6 years ago, I call him Smokey.

Mechanics that rode my bike after tire jobs or 10k tune ups always asked if I had any other modes to my bike than just a stage 1 set-up, like a cam or something. 40+ miles and I always said "no" and they always said that it was the strongest Dyna they ever rode. I sold it to A racer named Steve Dorn (google him) because he loved it and wanted to play with a TC88 and see what it could really do.
But that's another story... :blahblah:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, I doubled my suggested break-in period. I lived in Salt Lake City at the time and it was easy, and I burned it off in less than 2 months. My buddy did no real warm-up and then rode it like he stole it. He left me in the dust all the time. I basicly didn't ride with him during the break-in because I don't reem my machines. His bike developed and maintained a little puff of blue smoke after 800 miles. He still has it with 32k on it now and it still puffs. Since he quit smoking 6 years ago, I call him Smokey.

Mechanics that rode my bike after tire jobs or 10k tune ups always asked if I had any other modes to my bike than just a stage 1 set-up, like a cam or something. 40+ miles and I always said "no" and they always said that it was the strongest Dyna they ever rode. I sold it to A racer named Steve Dorn (google him) because he loved it and wanted to play with a TC88 and see what it could really do.
But that's another story... :blahblah:
That is very interesting. I will definitely google Steve Dorn :). Thanks for all the tips!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts