Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a Heritage w/reach seat and oem lowering kit. Worked well for many years but I want to move into a touring bike now. New EG Classic Low is a beauty but still not quite flat footed. Dealer recommended progressive shock drop but I don't like that idea due to footboards suffering clearance. Mean City can help a little on seat I'm sure, thicker soles too, etc. Other ideas out there? Also was trying to find an older EG with the FBI or BW frame drop kit. Anyone have experience with those? Really frustrated. Feedback appreciated.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
I would do the seat mod with Mean City first. I've had good luck with them. Try that and then go from there. With the Ultra low, I would not mess with a drop kit or different suspension components. Being totally flat footed isn't necessary in my opinion. I know a few women who are barely 5'4" and run standard Ultras. Take it in steps. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would do the seat mod with Mean City first. I've had good luck with them. Try that and then go from there. With the Ultra low, I would not mess with a drop kit or different suspension components. Being totally flat footed isn't necessary in my opinion. I know a few women who are barely 5'4" and run standard Ultras. Take it in steps. Good luck to you.
Thanks Yon and I agree with you. Just wish I could get on one already done before I take the plunge on the bike. I do ride 2 up mostly so that will bring it down a bit more too I suppose.

·
EX-VIRGIN
1,760 Posts
I lowered my 13 streetglide with the progressive mono tubes shocks and the mean city seat mod. I am 5 5. The 12" ohlin helped with a quarter inch and a kick ass ride to give me some additional leverage. No problems with scraping the floorboards and I am pretty aggressive. Good luck

·
Registered
319 Posts
I am not sure you can lower that "low seat " much more then it already is with out making it just a pan ! That thing is pretty scarce on padding as it is. However I have heard nothing but good things about mean city. Good luck and if there is a will there is a way. I have seen many guys and a few gals on the lows and seemed to be just fine.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Had a Heritage w/reach seat and oem lowering kit. Worked well for many years but I want to move into a touring bike now. New EG Classic Low is a beauty but still not quite flat footed. Dealer recommended progressive shock drop but I don't like that idea due to footboards suffering clearance. Mean City can help a little on seat I'm sure, thicker soles too, etc. Other ideas out there? Also was trying to find an older EG with the FBI or BW frame drop kit. Anyone have experience with those? Really frustrated. Feedback appreciated.

I'm 5'4 and a low would fit me just fine. I would not mess with the suspension on that bike. I wear logger boots. I've tired it all, mean city cylcles, lowered the front end on a 2008 SG, air suspension on my current bike (2013 SG). It's expensive to drop a touring bike. Save your money and find a good pair of logger boots and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all so far for the comments. I parted with the Heritage 7 mos ago and being between bikes is harder than I thought! I'm sure you all understand. The quest for a good fit continues...

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I heard about a young girl who was really short and had doctors break both of her legs and stretch them a couple of inches. Logger boots don't sound too bad do they..

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I'm 5'10", but inseam challenged. I have a Mustang wide touring seat on my Electra Glide Classic, that sits a little taller/wider than my stock seat. I can't quite flat foot the pavement, but it is only a problem when backing up on gravel/sand, which I'm good at avoiding. One benefit about being inseam challenged is that the highway pegs, top of front crash bars and rear passenger pegs are all options to relieve butt burn.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts