Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer says to remap it'll cost me $550. Guy said they give me a "part" that they attach to the computer, allows them to update the ECU if needed later. I asked, "You don't just reflash the ECU?" He said no. He said also tha PCIII's ruin the stock ECU and void the warranty.

Should I be dealing with another dealer? What exactly happens when the dealer "does what it does" to the ECU?

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
212 Posts
Go to another dealer. It's a reflash of your stock ECU. If he's "Adding" something, he's inadvertantly selling you a fuel management tool.

My 2 cents.

Most guys are paying $120-150 for a remap. The difference is ......uh...the price of a SERT.
Yeah. I'm with Dave. You're dealer is insane.

·
Registered
40,758 Posts
Yup, if they're selling you a "part" to take home after they're done, they're selling you the SERT.

If all you are wanting done is something like a stage 1 flash, they should have the "canned" MAP programs that come on a disposable one time use gadgets much cheaper. The downside is that these canned maps aren't tweakable on the dyno, but for a Stage 1 it should be fine.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I plan on doing some V&H sideshots and a high-flow cone intake, probably the Screamin' Eagle. That still qualifies as Stage 1, no? And, they'll have a canned map for that, surely?

·
Registered
40,758 Posts
As much as I would love to have a Nightster to hop up, I don't think I could give up my NightTrain to do it.

I just got done doing a job in Commiefornia for the last 7 months and came pretty damm close to buying a Nightster while I was there. If the company didn't run out of money for the project I was on, I would have.

·
Registered
40,758 Posts
Well, I plan on doing some V&H sideshots and a high-flow cone intake, probably the Screamin' Eagle. That still qualifies as Stage 1, no? And, they'll have a canned map for that, surely?
Yup.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I think that if you want to revert to base it should be about $100 just coz the can get that, it doesn't take any parts. But if you want a different map the need to install the prom/pal/flash memory device (whichever they use). They hit you for a hun for that too ($8 part). I argued this with my dealer on my 05 FXST and they were able to show me to my satisfaction what the deal was. For many setups HD has a map. If you stray like I did then you will need it dyno tuned.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dealers are telling me they only have maps for HD SE parts. True? V&H sideshots and SE intake seem pretty dang simple and common to me.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Nick, the reality is you have an EFI machine, so if you want control you have to pop for a control thingy that you can control. Like a SERT or something.

Other than that, just bend over and take it. You can bet they are having more fun than you are :rofl:

Canned maps get you into the ballpark. That's about it. Unless you can control the map, ie: write it, you are wasting your time and money.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Dealers are telling me they only have maps for HD SE parts. True? V&H sideshots and SE intake seem pretty dang simple and common to me.
Lemme explain it real simple.

I am GM

You fit Ford parts to my car

Then you want me to tune it.

:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts