Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hearing a really pronounced 5th gear whine in my tranny, especially when it gets warm. I called our neighborhood HD dealer and said that my 5th gear whine was so pronounced that it was rivaling the sound of the engine! They said that if it was that loud, there was definitely a problem in the gears or bearings. But after reading on the forum about the sound that others were hearing, I decided to try some Amsoil extreme 75-140 before I gave up and spent big bucks.

The Amsoil completely cleared it up! a slight whine, just enough to let me know my Heritage is in 5th gear is all I get. Cold or hot, it is totally acceptable! If anyone else has a problem with their 5th gear, I couldn't endorse the product enough! Thanks to all who wrote their thoughts on this subject. I saved at least a $grand, and maybe more. :rollin

·
Registered
692 Posts
The sound probably is the gear. If it was a bearings you would hear it in other gears also. Everyone should use gear oil in their transmission. Harley says you can use syn 3 in all 3 holes. But syn 3 is engine oil not gear oil and will not protect the gears and bearings properly. And the transmission well shift better and smoother with the proper oil.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isn't that the truth! I had just bought it and of course did what the Harley Dealer told me. It DOES shift better, come to think of it.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
The whining fifth gear is a known issue with the 2007 transmissions. It was the first year of the six speed. It was an issue to a lesser degree in the 08 and 09s as well.

Most believe that it is because the fifth gear pairs are straight cut gears instead of helical. In 2010 MoCo started using a helical fifth gear.

As far as I know, the whine is no problem other than sounding like a civil emergency alert. When you get to the end of the life of the Amsoil, you might try some Redline shock proof in therel. It has a good reputation for dampening noise as well - perhaps even more so than the Amsoil.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Many have complained about the 5th gear noise since introduction of the 6 speed. Most attribute the whine to only the gear set. Donnie Peterson wrote an article (attached), that goes into great detail about the problem. I thought some of you may be interested in reading it. I am one of the fortunate '07 owners with a quiet 5th gear (75w140 Spectro platinum 6sp oil).

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts