Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how concerned I should be about this. I understand how the breather system works. I also know that over filling oil or maintenence needs to the air filter can be issues.
But this is a new bike that I bought with 1 mile on it. At 650 now and the oil level is correct.

What can you guys tell me calling the dealer today.

Thanks

·
Registered
Leftover 2019 FXDRS 114
84 Posts
Is it motor oil or is the filter oiled. My dirt bike air filters will weep filter oil on hot days when they have been freshly cleaned and retreated.

Sounds like you’re on the right track. Keep us posted on what they tell you.

• Wow
Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just wondering how concerned I should be about this. I understand how the breather system works. I also know that over filling oil or maintenence needs to the air filter can be issues.
But this is a new bike that I bought with 1 mile on it. At 650 now and the oil level is correct.

What can you guys tell me calling the dealer today.

Thanks
When you say oil level is correct, that would be where on the dip stick? I keep mine half way now, before i was trying to keep it at the top and after running at higher RPM for a little while would spite some oil.

·
Registered
Mr. James
2,732 Posts
That's the reason I use an external breather system. That, to me, is too much blow-by for those miles on a new engine. Get to the dealer.

·
Retired citizen
25,840 Posts
I would keep a pic catalog of that for reference. That filter doesn't appear to be pre-oiled and doesn't look saturated either.
I would give the engine some break in time and bring it to the service dept attention when you have it in for the 1k or 5k service.

·
Registered
Mr. James
2,732 Posts
I would keep a pic catalog of that for reference. That filter doesn't appear to be pre-oiled and doesn't look saturated either.
I would give the engine some break in time and bring it to the service dept attention when you have it in for the 1k or 5k service.
Didn't think about that! I hope it was broke in properly. Yes, it does make a difference.

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Didn't think about that! I hope it was broke in properly. Yes, it does make a difference.

Yikes no kne told me at the dealer anything about a break in process.

Of course like any new engine I don't beat on it or abuse it.

I have treated it like any new motor try not to maintain consistent rpm for prolonged time.

I planned on taking it in for thr 1k services at the dealer.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
That does seem a bit much for 600 miles. I wander if riding style has anything to do with why some bikes tend to blow more oil than others. I bought my current twin cam with 4K miles. That was the only bad thing the seller said about. Every ride he had to clean his air box and dealer told him it’s fine. I have had it for a year and another 5k miles never needed to clean it once. There some in it but it’s never just leaked out into the motor

Reactions: JLR

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Yikes no kne told me at the dealer anything about a break in process.

Of course like any new engine I don't beat on it or abuse it.

I have treated it like any new motor try not to maintain consistent rpm for prolonged time.

I planned on taking it in for thr 1k services at the dealer.
Oh lord you dint follow the 32 step break in process? And your already at 600 miles? Shew. Gonna be a pricey 1k mile service buddy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so talked to the service department at the selling dealer. They advised to clean the mess and clean the filter. Or bring ot to them to clean. And the monitor to see how fast it comes back.

They mentioned that during the first 1k of engine break in that oil can get past the piston rings and we need to see if it continues and at what rate it leaks.

So I will clean today and see how dast it comes back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh lord you dint follow the 32 step break in process? And your already at 600 miles? Shew. Gonna be a pricey 1k mile service buddy

Well I called the dealer back and said what about a break in process. They said the usual no maintained constant rpm for long periods. No abusive aggressive driving.

I am doing that.

I will clean it up and see how fast it comes back.

Also plan to double check the oil when hot make sure it's not to full.

I will update yall as it goes.

·
Retired citizen
25,840 Posts
Every new bike I've owned I broke them in like I intended to ride them. I tried to break 'em in before they were out of warranty ! Mostly they all handled it just fine !
Remember the MoCo has to post those warnings all over the place because they don't know what crazzies are out there trying to break their new Harleys ! Which they do often IMO !

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Every new bike I've owned I broke them in like I intended to ride them. I tried to break 'em in before they were out of warranty ! Mostly they all handled it just fine !
Remember the MoCo has to post those warnings all over the place because they don't know what crazzies are out there trying to break their new Harleys ! Which they do often IMO !
same here. I honestly never really care to much about any sort of break in. For years we built racing motors stuck them on the bikes and ripped them. Just an initial heat cycle or two make sure everything’s seated. There is a cool YouTube video where they take two identical motors. Built them as close to possible. Ran the piss out of one and slowly broke the other In. At tear down and oil analysis there the same. I’m like you. I just ride it how I’m gonna ride it and never had a issue

·
Registered
Mr. James
2,732 Posts
Engines that I have built, technically rebuilt, they are tight as hell and need to be broke in. In about 150 miles they loosen up quite a bit and you can set the carb they way it needs now. Now this was on older V8s not new engines. Maybe that is the difference? It's just a habit for me now to take it easy for a few hundred miles and then I can wring its neck.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Engines that I have built, technically rebuilt, they are tight as hell and need to be broke in. In about 150 miles they loosen up quite a bit and you can set the carb they way it needs now. Now this was on older V8s not new engines. Maybe that is the difference? It's just a habit for me now to take it easy for a few hundred miles and then I can wring its neck.
I’m sure it’s never a bad idea to take it easy the first thousand or so mikes. I just built a motor for my 63 and experienced that. Got it running like a top in the shop. Around the first 800-100 miles I needed to go back and adjust the timing and carb to get it back to perfect so I’m sure it makes sense. And I know on ironheads the exhaust valve rods will tighten up every 500-800 miles. I guess it’s the cast iron they just keep seating more. And it’s always the exhaust side. I Hardly every have to adjust the intake least not as often.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That does seem a bit much for 600 miles. I wander if riding style has anything to do with why some bikes tend to blow more oil than others. I bought my current twin cam with 4K miles. That was the only bad thing the seller said about. Every ride he had to clean his air box and dealer told him it’s fine. I have had it for a year and another 5k miles never needed to clean it once. There some in it but it’s never just leaked out into the motor

Is engine breaking a concern on these engines?

I started letting the engine slow me down after my ss slip on, cuz it sounds cool 😎

·
Registered
Mr. James
2,732 Posts
Overfilled oil will do that for sure. You should be good now.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Is engine breaking a concern on these engines?

I started letting the engine slow me down after my ss slip on, cuz it sounds cool 😎
Nope. It’s a four stroke. Ya wanna avoid engine breaking in a two stroke for to long of periods time. But a four stroke motor doesn’t care either way

1 - 20 of 64 Posts