Harley Davidson Forums banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

Registered
Ok boys got the bike up to work at lunch checked the oil hot and what do you know it's way over full.

Here is a before and after pic I sucked it down with a vacume bleeder.

Cleaned the filter and we will update yall if it still leaks later.
Did you charge that filter element after you cleaned it? I use K&N's clean/recharge combo package for mine & works well.

Registered
Is engine breaking a concern on these engines?

I started letting the engine slow me down after my ss slip on, cuz it sounds cool 馃槑
As Scum pointed out, I don't think you'll hurt your motor engine braking. It probably does more wear & tear to your clutch package though IMO. I prefer to use both brakes, trying to apply my rear brake gently first before kicking in my front brake. I would rather replace brake pads than clutch components.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Did you charge that filter element after you cleaned it? I use K&N's clean/recharge combo package for mine & works well.
The dealer said my filter was a high flow washable filter from the factory.

I used the k&n filter cleaner i use on my 4 wheelers the dealer service said that would be fine to use.

Thanks

Registered
Thanks for asking this filter says stamped in the filter (dry filter do not oil)
If your gonna be in pretty dusty areas I alwsys took a dirtbike air filter oil in the spray can and lightly spray the inside and outside of my old filter. And it says 鈥渄ry do not oil鈥 but where I go in and out of my dirt road I figure it can鈥檛 hurt. It helped keep the dirt from getting through. Prior to that I was seeing a tiny amount behind my filter. I swapped it out with the big sucker that you can clean and oil and it seems like it has a ton better protection

Registered
Thanks for asking this filter says stamped in the filter (dry filter do not oil)
Didn't know such exists but I see Arlen Ness & others make such filters. I believe I would prefer a filter that I can clean & oil. Sure, it needs to be done properly & it's easy to over oil but done properly IMO an oiled filter should clean better.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
If your gonna be in pretty dusty areas I alwsys took a dirtbike air filter oil in the spray can and lightly spray the inside and outside of my old filter. And it says 鈥渄ry do not oil鈥 but where I go in and out of my dirt road I figure it can鈥檛 hurt. It helped keep the dirt from getting through. Prior to that I was seeing a tiny amount behind my filter. I swapped it out with the big sucker that you can clean and oil and it seems like it has a ton better protection
Thanks for the heads up. I am in a low dust area so I should be fine. I have the k&n filter oil for my 4 wheelers.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Didn't know such exists but I see Arlen Ness & others make such filters. I believe I would prefer a filter that I can clean & oil. Sure, it needs to be done & it's easy to over oil, but done properly IMO an oiled filter should clean better.
The guy at the dealer who I asked about oiling he said the oil filter will get lightly oiled just by operating it due to the oil from the head vents that dump oil misted air through there. Not so sure if that is really happening. Here's a pic of my filter stamped and looks like after only 40 miles I see a little oil mist inside the back of the filter not much.

Attachments

Registered
Not really certain then it's washable despite what you were told. Anyway, I really like your Fat Boy. It's the only new big twin Harley I would consider buying for myself. Enjoy it.
I prob don鈥檛 know. But I don鈥檛 remember ever seeing a washable filter that wasn鈥檛 a oil kind. I guess you could wash anything tho lol. But just saying. Normally there washable because you oil them and therefor the oil catches the dirt then you wash that Off and re oil. If dirt is all the way into the element idk how washing it could release all the dirt.

Registered
1999 Blue Flame FXR3, 2017 Road Glide Ultra
Harley came out with the high flow "paper" element filter around 05. It was used in the Screamin' eagle high flow air cleaners. They were dry filters. I remember them when I bought my 07 Road glide. I have always used oil type filters. A friend had one and it got holes burned in it when his engine backfired through the intake.

As far as break in. You need to load the engine. Make it pull. The cross hatch on the cylinder walls is a file of sorts. By loading the engine, it creates cylinder pressure. Cylinder pressure pushes the rings out against the cylinder walls and files the rings to fit the shape of the cylinder bore. The better the rings fit, the better seal and less blow by you will have. You can load the engine without revving the crap out of it, but full throttle acceleration means more cylinder pressure. So, variable full throttle acceleration from 2500 rpm to 4500 rpm is about prefect.

Good luck, glad you got things figured out.

Registered
Just wondering how concerned I should be about this. I understand how the breather system works. I also know that over filling oil or maintenence needs to the air filter can be issues.
But this is a new bike that I bought with 1 mile on it. At 650 now and the oil level is correct.

What can you guys tell me calling the dealer today.

Thanks
I have a 2022 Fatboy with 800 miles on it so far, and just went and checked. I have no oil in the Air filter. I followed the manual procedures for engine break-in exactly as listed. First 50 miles not over 3k rpm, first 500 miles not over 3.5k rpms. Just FYI.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I have a 2022 Fatboy with 800 miles on it so far, and just went and checked. I have no oil in the Air filter. I followed the manual procedures for engine break-in exactly as listed. First 50 miles not over 3k rpm, first 500 miles not over 3.5k rpms. Just FYI.
Ya looks like I was about 3/4 a quart over filled with oil.

Been about 200 miles since I fixed the oil level. No more oil in my filter.

I did not follow the book. But according to what you wrote I did roughly the same thing.
I babyed it for the 500 and still at 800 I have not beat on it or gone high rpm.

I will wait tell after the 1k service to get on it.

What color you get?

Registered
Ya looks like I was about 3/4 a quart over filled with oil.

Been about 200 miles since I fixed the oil level. No more oil in my filter.

I did not follow the book. But according to what you wrote I did roughly the same thing.
I babyed it for the 500 and still at 800 I have not beat on it or gone high rpm.

I will wait tell after the 1k service to get on it.

What color you get?
Mine is Vivid black, thoroughly enjoying this one !!!

21 - 40 of 64 Posts