Harley Davidson Forums banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
So it's been about 300 miles since I put the level at full when hot.

I see a drop of oil hanging off the bottom of the air filter housing and a small puddle on the case by the push rods.

Dropped it off at Harley yesterday fpr the 1k service and to check the oil in filter concerns.

The stated cleaned air filter and adjusted breather tubes. So they did nothing.

I asked how do they full the oil. Do they leave it half way when hot.

Advisor said they put it half way cold and it's good.

Well it was half way cold the first time I checked it and it was way over full hot.

The dealer is 34 minutes away. So when I get home with it the engine will be good and hot and I will check it then.

Bet it will be over again.

I need to read the Manuel on oil level checking procedures.

·
Registered
519 Posts
So it's been about 300 miles since I put the level at full when hot.

I see a drop of oil hanging off the bottom of the air filter housing and a small puddle on the case by the push rods.

Dropped it off at Harley yesterday fpr the 1k service and to check the oil in filter concerns.

The stated cleaned air filter and adjusted breather tubes. So they did nothing.

I asked how do they full the oil. Do they leave it half way when hot.

Advisor said they put it half way cold and it's good.

Well it was half way cold the first time I checked it and it was way over full hot.

The dealer is 34 minutes away. So when I get home with it the engine will be good and hot and I will check it then.

Bet it will be over again.

I need to read the Manuel on oil level checking procedures.
The way EPA forces H-D to vent those breathers back into the intake is a problem that's not going away. Check out the thread here titled "$12 Crankcase vent mod" to find your solution.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Well got back home with it 40 minute ride checked it hot on the jeffy stand and it is over and inch over the full mark.

Guess I will suck it down.

The owner manual indicates a cold and a hot level check. But hot says no more Tham full mark when on the stand.

Should I put it at the half way mark when hot several on here mentioned that?

And I did wipe it off and restick it all the way in.

Footwear Hood Automotive tire Asphalt Yellow
Road surface Asphalt Yellow Grey Floor

·
Registered
519 Posts
Sorry, but I can't help you w/that because I have a TC88 motor. In a previous post in this thread, you explained how you did it & that should be fine, but just an opinion as am not familiar w/your particular motor.

Edit: You should be able to find & verify this in your owners manual:

Font Line Parallel Screenshot Triangle

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,094 Posts
I keep mine at the full mark when hot when I do an oil change.
If it goes to the add mark or higher when I need to do the next oil change 5000 miles later, I call that good enough.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a mechanic that kinda explained that it's part of emissions process and usually if you run your bikes at 65-75 mph, this is when you'll get some oil seeping (blowby) that will show up. He said for some reason HD haven't figured out a way to stop it, even though it's emissions related. This happens to both the wife's Sportster and my RK, of which both are '16's. If anyone has any better info on the subject...or get a HD guy to explain it here...that would help. Better yet, tell us how to stop it! (if at all possible). I would rather not tear into it as some You Tube mechs do...not that far in to it anyway. :unsure:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Thanks for the help guys I followed the above e procedure and set it at full hot so if it keeps being a pill I will probably do the breather mod. Maybe see how bad it is over the next weeks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
How much oil are we talking. I suggest removing the air filter and letting the bike idle while watching the vent hose over the intake to see if you see significant oil stream. If you see oil coming from the vent hose, it is too much, especially at an idle. Even oil overfilled shouldn’t produce significant oil from vent tube at idle, if it does, there are a few possible causes. There is an oil vent mechanism under the rocker cover that may be faulty, passing too much oil through the vent passage, but doubt it.I recently watched a YouTube video where a guy had this issue, pulled the rocker cover off the front cylinder, as the rear cylinder did not have the issue.He found a pressed in piece in the head had come out (looks like a small BB) and was causing the issue. May be something else, but if you do see significant oil from the vent tube at an idle, it is a problem. If you do some searches on you tube, the video should be easy to find.

·
Registered
2013 CVO FLHTCUSE8 #414/1100
70 Posts
External breather solves so many problems related to this. Plus you won't have oxygen depleted and oil misted air making it's way back in to the combustion chamber. Once I found the sweet spot on my oil dipstick I marked it with a small scratch across the holes so I don't have to count tiny holes anymore.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I found a much better solution than a catch can or vented dip stick or even routing tube to transmission top cover. Looked at the solutions people were going to and didn’t like some and others would cause other problems. Easy fix is to unplug hose from T that is inserted in the breather filter, leaving the hose installed to plug the hole on the back side of air filter, but install a rubber vacuum cap over the hose, leaving the hose installed. You don’t even need to remove the filter to do that. See attached pic and you will see the black shiny rubber cap.Then install the same diameter vacuum hose to the T where you unplugged the hose that goes through the back of the breather filter and route the hose down and loop it back up the back to the top of the breather housing. This allows the engine to breath and does not apply enough negative pressure to pull oil into the breather housing. I did this and mine stays dry now, no more oil being pulled into the intake, so no expected carbon build up or other performance negative impacts and i keep my oil at the full mark with no problem. That was NEVER the issue. The issue is with that hose centered in your intake, the negative pressure pulls oils through and dumps into the intake.

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
I found a much better solution than a catch can or vented dip stick or even routing tube to transmission top cover. Looked at the solutions people were going to and didn’t like some and others would cause other problems. Easy fix is to unplug hose from T that is inserted in the breather filter, leaving the hose installed to plug the hole on the back side of air filter, but install a rubber vacuum cap over the hose, leaving the hose installed. You don’t even need to remove the filter to do that. See attached pic and you will see the black shiny rubber cap.Then install the same diameter vacuum hose to the T where you unplugged the hose that goes through the back of the breather filter and route the hose down and loop it back up the back to the top of the breather housing. This allows the engine to breath and does not apply enough negative pressure to pull oil into the breather housing. I did this and mine stays dry now, no more oil being pulled into the intake, so no expected carbon build up or other performance negative impacts and i keep my oil at the full mark with no problem. That was NEVER the issue. The issue is with that hose centered in your intake, the negative pressure pulls oils through and dumps into the intake.
What happens when oil pools @ the lowest point of your loop?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Shouldn’t happen. I have lowered the hose to check and it hasn’t been an issue. That said, I would suspect a very small negative pressure given it is inside the breather case would pull any that make it in the hose and it would end up in the bottom of the breather case, but not much. By the way, I prefer that! Even if it does collect at the low point, I suspect it will push out from positive pressure coming from the engine as a by product of natural blow by. Keep in mind the intent is not to send the oil into the cylinder to end up as carbon build up…i decided to do the loop, but you might want to just cut the hose off at the bottom which would still accomplish the objective.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I did this and mine stays dry now, no more oil being pulled into the intake, so no expected carbon build up or other performance negative impacts and i keep my oil at the full mark with no problem. That was NEVER the issue. The issue is with that hose centered in your intake, the negative pressure pulls oils through and dumps into the intake.
I agree that it seems the intake sucks oil out of the breather that normally would stay in the engine.
I routed my breather hose overboard, and have never seen so much as a drop of oil on the end of the hose.

·
Registered
2019 Fat Boy FLFBS
80 Posts
FYI, the Breather mod is also to keep the pistons clean & for the bike to run better
I have not seen any oil coming out, but decided for the Mod based on tear down videos of bikes w/10k miles & pistons that had residue

41 - 60 of 64 Posts