Harley Davidson Forums banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
nitro freak
1,313 Posts
M8 motors are very likely to have lower end sumping problems,thats why running them a bit lower on oil seems to help.a aftermarket (S&S) pump would take care of the problems,venting the oil tank will also help but IMO its insane to have to buy aftermarket parts to get a new bike not to have problems,personally,you couldnt give a M8 to me

·
Registered
569 Posts
I agree that it seems the intake sucks oil out of the breather that normally would stay in the engine.
I routed my breather hose overboard, and have never seen so much as a drop of oil on the end of the hose.
How did you do that - did you just attach an extension and point it down?
I need to do this on my 18.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok so talked to the service department at the selling dealer. They advised to clean the mess and clean the filter. Or bring ot to them to clean. And the monitor to see how fast it comes back.

They mentioned that during the first 1k of engine break in that oil can get past the piston rings and we need to see if it continues and at what rate it leaks.

So I will clean today and see how dast it comes back.
just like Cat equipment . and a gorgeous girl friend I have hade more than a hand full and really are they ever going to make a great motorcycle .

·
Retired citizen
26,037 Posts
I've heard the similar complaints about Harley engines for 40+ years, it's always something people aren't happy with.
Brand new and it leaks ! Or some other systemic problem.
What's happening today with the NASA Artemis rocket ? Brand new and It leaks ! ! ! At least NASA is telling the truth, the MoCo never tells the truth ! The MoCo always avoids the truth to avoid warranty fixes, repairs and upgrades.

I need to point out that isn't just the Harley MoCo, it's the vehicle industry wide. They all do it, advertise big year and mileage warranties then require the vehicle owner to provide documented proof they followed the guidelines to qualify for the warranty. Bullshit I say !

These are the Harleys I work on all year long at my shop. The dealerships are turning away 20 year old Harleys, all models. M&M EFI Ultras, no way. 2000 Softails, no way, now Sportsters will be taboo soon ! Buells are long gone and V-Rods on the horizon !

Maybe I should have never gotten involved ? I did because I've always had this inclination that I can fix or repair anything or at least try ! Anything !

Woot - Woot !

61 - 68 of 68 Posts