Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Between Eternities
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I stop by the local dealer to buy some o rings or light bulbs I intentionally sit on a 48 until one of the local sales guys comes over and tells me to seriously think about a Dyna.
I guess my only recourse will be a custom stretched frame when I do pull the trigger - and believe me, I will pull that trigger. I will have a Sportster someday.

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
I know nothing of this problem you talk of#coffee...

@5'4'' I have the opposite problems...Lol but would forward controls and taller bars help on the sporter? I bet they're are other tall people that own sporsters...

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am 6'2" and got a 1200C. I got the 6" extended forward controls from Accutronix. I am almost too short for them. Let's me stretch out my legs. Put 16" apes on it too. I plan on a solo seat with springs and old school pipes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Every time I stop by the local dealer to buy some o rings or light bulbs I intentionally sit on a 48 until one of the local sales guys comes over and tells me to seriously think about a Dyna.
I guess my only recourse will be a custom stretched frame when I do pull the trigger - and believe me, I will pull that trigger. I will have a Sportster someday.
I'm 6'3" and fit on a 2005 XL1200C just fine with the forwards and stock bars.

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
I am 6'2" and got a 1200C. I got the 6" extended forward controls from Accutronix. I am almost too short for them. Let's me stretch out my legs. Put 16" apes on it too. I plan on a solo seat with springs and old school pipes.
I wanna see pictures please

·
Registered
9 Posts
heck im 6'1 and ride a 883 sporty with forward controls quite comfy.... its a sporty not a recliner its built for carving turns .. ridding hard and having fun. Every Harley has its purpose that's why they are all built different the trick is figuring out what type of riding your going to do and getting the right bike for it.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
I'm 6'1" and I've rode sportys every since I've started riding. All have had forward controls. If you want one and its comfortable to you, who cares what anybody else thinks??

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
6' here and I ride with mid controls and highway pegs.

Thing is, the 48 has small bars and is closer to the ground than the tallest Sportster model

You need (IMO) to look for a Sportster Roadster. It is taller the bar reach is the farthest of any Sportster and then if you put extended reach forward controls on it you will be starting off much closer to fitting on the bike.

If you get an 07-09 Roadster you will get a blacked out engine meaning you can basically modify the rest of it to look like a 48 if that's your thing.

Conversely, you could buy a 48 and put on extended fork tubes and taller rear shocks, different bars, and controls on it and be more comfortable.

I'f you are not worried about a passenger you can get a custom seat that pushes you back a few inches as well.

Lots of options if you REALLY like the Sportster/48 and will not be happy on anything else buy one new or used for the right price that will allow you to modify it to fit you.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
I'm 5'10" and 185 pounds and right handed. Everything mankind makes seems to fit me perfectly. :)

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
6'4", 235 pounds on Cali's wife's 883.

I wasn't uncomfortable at all. Just looked silly.

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1414941582.184143.jpg

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Gezus man. Don't provoke him.

Hahaha. You know I don't have ego about my looks. Motorcycle fit is just a benefit of being average. :thumb

·
Registered
39,473 Posts
Only have to stretch the frame a little bit.....

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
With perfect riding posture too...

...just ask him.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

My riding posture is excellent. I state that as a matter of fact. I have no ego about it. I don't think it's preferred, in fact I think a little slouch looks better.

·
Between Eternities
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
6' here and I ride with mid controls and highway pegs.

Thing is, the 48 has small bars and is closer to the ground than the tallest Sportster model

You need (IMO) to look for a Sportster Roadster. It is taller the bar reach is the farthest of any Sportster and then if you put extended reach forward controls on it you will be starting off much closer to fitting on the bike.

If you get an 07-09 Roadster you will get a blacked out engine meaning you can basically modify the rest of it to look like a 48 if that's your thing.

Conversely, you could buy a 48 and put on extended fork tubes and taller rear shocks, different bars, and controls on it and be more comfortable.

I'f you are not worried about a passenger you can get a custom seat that pushes you back a few inches as well.

Lots of options if you REALLY like the Sportster/48 and will not be happy on anything else buy one new or used for the right price that will allow you to modify it to fit you.

Thanks for this - will start looking at Roadsters....

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Thanks for this - will start looking at Roadsters....
Sweet. Best Harley ever made IMO

The roadsters came as

2004-2006 carbureted, 3.3 gallon tank, some black some gray engine cases

2007-2009 Efi 4.5 gallon tank, all models black engine cases I believe.

This being said if you are going to modify it and want carb or efi, everything except the color of the cases is easy to change pretty much bolt on to other models of Sportsters so you have some flexibility.

If you lived near me I'd let you take mine for a rip and see how it suits you size wise.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts