Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched, as I figure others had/have this issue. but didn't see anything so... Gettin my ol un back up. Been scratchin' my head on this one.. At one time I thought it was something else like its drawing too many amps even though the motor seems to turn over.. (When I use the electric start, it pops the main 30A) After some time chasing other stuff.. starter, bendix, needle bearings... I determined (I think!) that its damn electrical. When I disconnect the SMALL wire on the solenoid. it does not trip... I ohmed the solenoid then it SHOULD go to ground from THAT small terminal right? I squinted over and over and it looks like in the factory diagram, the handlebar button... 1 side (wire), goes to the relay and the other pigtails to ground?! That just doesn't seem right to me? any help is appreciated! dan

·
Retired citizen
23,201 Posts
Searched, as I figure others had/have this issue. but didn't see anything so... Gettin my ol un back up. Been scratchin' my head on this one.. At one time I thought it was something else like its drawing too many amps even though the motor seems to turn over.. (When I use the electric start, it pops the main 30A) After some time chasing other stuff.. starter, bendix, needle bearings... I determined (I think!) that its damn electrical. When I disconnect the SMALL wire on the solenoid. it does not trip... I ohmed the solenoid then it SHOULD go to ground from THAT small terminal right? I squinted over and over and it looks like in the factory diagram, the handlebar button... 1 side (wire), goes to the relay and the other pigtails to ground?! That just doesn't seem right to me? any help is appreciated! dan
The start button should not be grounded. One side of the button gets B+ and the other side goes to the relay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I traced it again with morning eyes.. I didn't think that was right! Those scematics are gettin harder and harder to read! start button checks ok. still trying to figure this out though!.... Break is over!.......

1 - 3 of 3 Posts