Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I had to sell my 96 1200, cause for some reason of you don't pay taxes uncle sam doesn't like it. Anyway, I'm trying to get a ride before the riding season starts, the 68 is cool, flames and black paint, hardtail, dragpiped good looking ironhead and has been mostly rebuilt engine wise. The 81 flh has been converted into looking like a roadking, which doesn't look bad and it is a shovelhead. I don't know much about either motor, can you guys give me a little insight to which one to possibly get. Thanks -Jim

·
Just Ride
3,614 Posts
Shovelhead would be best out of the two. Easier to get parts for and shifts on the left

·
Try'n to behave
6,223 Posts
I've got an '81 FXWG. Some of the problems I've encountered so far:

Always chasing oil leaks....and if people are to be believed, this is pretty common for Shovels.

I had to redo my entire electrical system (remember that the bike is 34 years old), but that could just be because of all the stupid previous owners.

If it has the cowpie tranny (I believe that it does), the linkage for the shifter has to be watched and checked regularly. Mine got stuck in "neutral" between 3rd and 4th until I took it apart and replaced a piece of the linkage.

The stock banana brakes seriously lack stopping power! Also I found that the hole for the mounting pin wallowed out and was making more problems, so I replaced the rear caliper with a Fabricator Kevin set up...MUCH better!

Shovelheads vibrate....alot. Make sure you do regular checks on all bolts, especially the critical ones...like the rear wheel axle bolt....don't ask me how I know.:mad

Also, if you have laced wheels, check the spokes often too!

As a heads up, if you decide to buy one of these older bikes and you don't have any mechanical ability, get some; and find a good Indy that knows how to work on them because for the most part the dealerships don't.

·
Try'n to behave
6,223 Posts
Yeah, he makes some quality chit...and for a pretty reasonable price too.

As soon as I save up some money I'm doing the front as well. Then going to get his foot clutch and jockey shift.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree with pred8er on just about everything. You need to have a few years mechanical experience under your belt to work on any bike, let alone a custom build, let alone an older Harley!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I agree with pred8er on just about everything. You need to have a few years mechanical experience under your belt to work on any bike, let alone a custom build, let alone an older Harley!
I was in the same boat when I got mine. I had some ability but, no real knowledge or experience. This forum and its members, has helped me immensely.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The best advice I can give is to invest in a Harley repair manual for whatever bike you get. You won't be disappointed, or mislead by bad information. Personally, I ride a 72 sporty, and love it.
Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts