Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing a little research, want to change the 66t pulley to a 68t or 70t pulley on a 2012 FXDC. Have heard that a 68t pulley from a '07 or newer sportster would work, thoughts and comments.

Any body know a good web site to surf for pulleys.

Thanks in advance.

·
Go SEAHAWKS!!
807 Posts
Been doing a little research, want to change the 66t pulley to a 68t or 70t pulley on a 2012 FXDC. Have heard that a 68t pulley from a '07 or newer sportster would work, thoughts and comments.

Thanks in advance.
jpcycles.com or maybe denniskirk.com

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks StillBill,

Already check those two sites, $350 and up seems a little steep for a pulley.

I'm looking for some kind of industrial machine shop and what it would cost to have one made.

Thanks again.

·
Go SEAHAWKS!!
807 Posts
Thanks StillBill,

Already check those two sites, $350 and up seems a little steep for a pulley.

I'm looking for some kind of industrial machine shop and what it would cost to have one made.

Thanks again.
No prob. Remember though, the pulleys usually have a hardened chrome surface where the belt rides. don't know if this is required, but may be worth checking into. :bike-038:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No prob. Remember though, the pulleys usually have a hardened chrome surface where the belt rides. don't know if this is required, but may be worth checking into. :bike-038:
I didn't know that. That is good info to have.

Thanks again StillBill

·
Registered
751 Posts
Having a machine shop make a one off part is going to cost A LOT more than you can buy one online. There is a ton of work that goes into making a part. If only making one the cost can't be spread across many parts being made. If a shop can make several the cost will go down. If they can make hundreds it becomes affordable. It's the initial R&D that costs.

·
Banned
681 Posts
Been doing a little research, want to change the 66t pulley to a 68t or 70t pulley on a 2012 FXDC. .
Just curious - may I ask why you would want to do that? With the pulley + new belt it isn't going to be cheap and it's going to rev pretty hard when cruising. Or maybe you're adding a sidecar? :dunno

·
Registered
751 Posts
Just curious - may I ask why you would want to do that? With the pulley + new belt it isn't going to be cheap and it's going to rev pretty hard when cruising. Or maybe you're adding a sidecar? :dunno
Not sure what you ride, but the newer bikes that have a six speed could use a little lower gearing all the way around. Mine idles at around 10 mph. Parking losts suck. In sixed gear you have to be doing over 60 to use it. It's great at 70-75 mph cruising down the interstate.

Personally I try to stay off the interstate as much as possible. A slightly lower overall gearing would work well for most people. Like I said...most people.

·
Banned
681 Posts
Not sure what you ride, but the newer bikes that have a six speed could use a little lower gearing all the way around. Mine idles at around 10 mph. Parking losts suck. In sixed gear you have to be doing over 60 to use it. It's great at 70-75 mph cruising down the interstate.

Personally I try to stay off the interstate as much as possible. A slightly lower overall gearing would work well for most people. Like I said...most people.
Well there y'go - each to his own. If it wasn't for the cost I'd be counting the teeth on my 2008 FXDL to go in the opposite direction. I know years ago "International" models had a smaller pulley than US-Domestic but I don't know if it's still true. If mine is a 66-tooth like the US models and I was made of money I'd be looking at changing to the 64-tooth "Japanese" pulley shown in the parts list. I agree that 6th would be a real overdrive but I find 1st to 4th a bit revvy.

·
Bass Player
83 Posts

Thanks in advance.
Hey DevilDawg, where are you in Georgia? I'm just outside of Savannah in Pooler if you want to take a ride. I'd love to help with the pulley swap to learn a few things too.

BTW. Look into a torquey cam as an option. Idle speeds are the same, but I can use my 6th gear from 60mph with the SE255 cams.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most of my riding is local, want to bring the gearing down just a touch for better bottom end pulling.

Gearing is way to tall IMO.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey DevilDawg, where are you in Georgia? I'm just outside of Savannah in Pooler if you want to take a ride. I'd love to help with the pulley swap to learn a few things too.

BTW. Look into a torquey cam as an option. Idle speeds are the same, but I can use my 6th gear from 60mph with the SE255 cams.
I am way up in N. Georgia, right on the Tennessee Line. Will be heading your way on a trip to Florida, will contact you when and with the details.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts