Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
The Northern *******
7,170 Posts
When should I be using 6th gear ? The owners manual says shift to 6th gear at 55 mph ?
Being the smart azz I am....I would say..when you want to go real fast... other than that .....65-70 mph+++++depending on terrain...uphill, downhill,flat...makes a difference....try and keep your rpm's at 2,600 + preferably 3K......gets more oil moving, thus it cools your motor...Twin Cams and lugging don't mix...they can & will do the detonation thing....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers.I am not use to this superglide gearing.I am probably running the gears at lower rpms.I'll keep the rpms up and see if that helps keep it running cooler.

·
I'm your huckleberry
3,008 Posts
anything around 2400+ rpm in any gear works for me. Don't use 6th till 65-70mph

·
Registered
196 Posts
Anything less 3000-3500 rpm's is lugging the motor. Twin Cams like more revs than the Shovel or the Evo.

60- 70 in 6th is lugging a TC though wouldn't think so. The damage will become apparent when the bike reaches higher mileage

Most six speed guys I know don't use sixth till about 90 mph. Out in the western states or on the free way is where 6th gear really comes in handy.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I don't use 6th gear until I'm doing 65-70. Since I hate droning along the interstate I rarely use 6th gear.

Of course it depends on your weight and gear being hauled: a real light guy (150 lbs) would be able to get into 6th before a guy who weighs 300 lbs. If it's a long downhill run, then I might throw it into 6th gear a bit sooner. Or a strong tailwind.

Lugging an engine can be as bad as over-revving.

·
Registered
893 Posts
If it's a flat stretch I'll shift the Dyna to 6th at about 55mph... It has zero problems with that.. Softail Deluxe likes to be north of 60...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey thanks for the replies.I've got alot to learn.I am paranoid,use to the sportster and the extra engine heat concerns me.I've got to get a temp gauge for it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For us guys with the FXD w/ no tac I have found that shifting by speed seems to work well. 1st up to 20 mph and each gear after use the same gear as the speed. 2nd for all up to 30, 3rd for all up to 40, 4th for all up to 50 and 5th for all up to about 62mph. The engine seems to run real smooth at these speeds/gear combinations.

It works for Me :nod:nod:nod

·
Registered
803 Posts
I would use the owners manual speed of 55mph as a bear minimum, any lower and the motor lugs causing it to use more fuel. Also down shift to fifth if you drop below that speed. If the bike is new it will run hotter, when you do the 1000 mile sevice change to syn oil it will help it run cooler.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've sorted out some of the problem.Who ever had it before put too much oil in it.It had 2,516 miles on it when I bought it.The shop said they did the free 1,000 mile service on it so don't go changing the oil at 3,000 miles.Well I checked the oil level cold this morning and it was overfilled.I called the shop and asked them should it be overfilled ?I was thinking maybe they had a break in additive or something not thinking that it could have been overfilled by mistake.They told me it shouldn't be over the full mark, check it when the engine is hot.I went around the block and warmed it up ,checked it and it was over the full mark.I took 1/4 of a quart out or slightly better and checked it.I took another 1/4 of a quart out and it was right where it should be on the cold level.I took it for a ride, noticed it ran faster and was not engine braking like it did since I've owned it.I got home checked it and it was 1/2 mark under the top full line.

Bottom line,I feel like an ass for not checking it earlier.I put 270 miles on it with it being over filled, lord only knows how many the other person put on it like that.When I picked it up, they had it in the mechanic shop,I assumed they went through everything prior to me driving away with it.Apparently all they did was change plate and put an inspection sticker on it ?It's running cooler as well now.I hope I don't make too many more stupid blunders. Lol. Ivan

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.