Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post on here, I've been reading for a while in preparation for the 2015 Sportster Iron 883 that I bought last weekend.
Anyway, I was shopping for engine upgrades on the Harley-Davidson store and noticed that they are saying that the SE Stage 1 air cleaner kit will allow the engine to rev to 7000 rpm. Now I am very familiar with modifying engines and I completely understand that the ECU will need to be flashed to actually achieve that, but can the engine actually safely do it?
The reason I ask is because during my shopping on their website, I noticed that they are selling a performance valve spring kit that also claims to allow the engine to rev to 7000 rpms. The springs make more sense in being able to allow this, but I thought they would be only used to work with different cams?
So what's the deal? Can the engine handle 7k rpm from the factory with a better flowing air filter, or does it need engine work to really do that safely?

Here are the links for reference
Screamin' Eagle Stage I Sportster Air Cleaner Kit-29782-07 | Air Cleaner | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store
Screamin' Eagle Performance Valve Spring Kit-18013-03A | Engines, Transmissions & Components | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
The air filter alone will not get the engine to rev to 7 grand.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
It has a rev limiter, i think it's 5800. But you can change ignitions and go with a 7000. After a google search, i saw some dyno runs with 5970 RPM's so it must be a little higher.

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
It's EFI, just needs a reflash for the ECM. I wonder about the rest of the stock valve train being capable of 7 grand.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
It's EFI, just needs a reflash for the ECM. I wonder about the rest of the stock valve train being capable of 7 grand.
Yes sir, guess i'm stuck on them carbed bikes.....i know nothing about the EFI. Thanks...don't wanna confuse the guy...:thumb

·
Registered
601 Posts
When I installed my Power Vision on the 2010 XL1200X I purchased used the map that it pulled from the ECM had the Rev limit set for 7k. I thought that was high and as far as I know the previous owner did not tune the bike at all.

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
Jeffforty ,Well I don't think it pulled the MAP from the ECM, the MAP was in the Power Vision. The factory ECM has only one MAP in it's EEPROM, not multiple MAPS.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
I just wonder why you would ever need 7000rpm? That would be on the low end of a crotch rocket, but I have never seen the need for that kind of rpm on a sportster. The only place it would be useful would be in the salt flats in high gear where you could hold it open long enough to reach 7000. At 7000 you would not be producing your highest HP or torque anyway.
For regular riding it would have no practical application. JMO

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
Agreed with Ultra Struck. Maybe the OP wants to see if he can bury the needle !

·
Registered
39,467 Posts
I believe stage 1 ecm sets rev limit to 6500 rpm.

Above that you'll need cam and valve spring upgrades, which is considered stage 2.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Jeffforty ,Well I don't think it pulled the MAP from the ECM, the MAP was in the Power Vision. The factory ECM has only one MAP in it's EEPROM, not multiple MAPS.
No, when you marry the Power Vision to the ECM it makes a copy of whatever program is there at that time. You then download the tune you want to it.

One of two things, the ECM was flashed at some point that I don't know about or it was set for 7k from factory which is high from my understanding.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I would say with an air filter it can but I have the 1250 kit with air filter and exhaust upgrades and power vision. I haven't reached 7k rpm I hit about 6.5k at 118 mph and dropped off do to worry of tickets.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Without cam work, why rev to the point of loosing power? Now if you build a high revving motor, then maybe you would want a 7k red line. Although unless you are racing I can't imagine why you'd ever rev it that high. My 2005 has from H-D a 6k red line. Power flattens out just short of that, and so any higher would be bragging rights, but of no advantage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 1250 with cams and head work. it will safely handle 7k. I set my Rev limiter at 6800 and try to stay away from it though. More worried about my crank than anything else

·
Registered
373 Posts
Brodie5775 and Wi Duker, what kind of exaust are y'all runnin on those 1250's ?

I am running the vance and hines short shots but they have been drilled and have inserts to increase exhaust velocity. I am gonna be changing it to a patriot 2-1 system in about 2 months or so. My sons birthday and landscaping my backyard has the bike on hold. The inserts in my exhaust were a slightly modified version of what they sell on customs me and a friend laser cut.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Screaming Eagle Super Tuner will set your redline at or about 7k. I have Rush slip ons and a Screaming Eagle air cleaner. Just had it dyno tuned today. Pretty happy with the results. Runs nice, no popping.

image.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts