Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1977 FLH
Hi guys/gals. I have a trans fluid leak somewhere above the chain ( drip above train) .. I’m trying to figure out if this/ these line is difficult to reach. Any advice helpful.

also, what a good site to sell a 77 FLH?

thanks

·
Try'n to behave
5,967 Posts
The '77 shovelheads had a chain oiler system that comes off the oil pump. Unless that has been blocked off, it is normal to have a small amount of oil. Otherwise, anything in that area is "difficult" to get to. I say that because you have to remove a lot of interference to get adequate access.

Try registering with shovelheadUSA. They have a lot of very shovel smart people there and they have a classified section too. That's where I go for help on my shovel when I can't figure it out myself and the book isn't helping.

BTW, post a pic so we can all enjoy. All shovels are beautiful. Shovel lives matter!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1977 FLH
Hi guys/gals. I have a trans fluid leak somewhere above the chain ( drip above train) .. I’m trying to figure out if this/ these line is difficult to reach. Any advice helpful.

also, what a good site to sell a 77 FLH?

thanks
Thank you for your reply. I’m familiar with that oil drip onto the chain. But my Transmission Fluid is dripping near that same area. However I’m unable to see or determine where the Fluid leak is.
ill Check out the format you recommended. Much appreciated

·
Just Ride
3,267 Posts
Main seal are known to leak on trans,there was a "super nut" made with a o ring that helped. That nut held sprocket tight.

Reactions: Pred8er

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok, I’ll investigate further. Thanks
I agree with Fritz HD. My 76 Liberty Edition trans output shaft seal leaked after the first 2500 miles. Originally put new seal in and again about 2500 or so it was leaking. Replaced that seal with a twin lipped seal for a GM automatic transmission tail shaft. Fit perfectly and that seal held up for forty thousand miles. Still no leaks even though the bike sits all Winter.
The "super nut" Fritz hd refers to also has a shaft seal inside the nut so I added that to the repair at about 15,000 mi. just for insurance. No drips, no more oil soaked white wall rear tire or oily rear rim and chain guard as the trans output shaft literally has three shaft seals. If it's apart to put a seal in TRIPLE IT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with Fritz HD. My 76 Liberty Edition trans output shaft seal leaked after the first 2500 miles. Originally put new seal in and again about 2500 or so it was leaking. Replaced that seal with a twin lipped seal for a GM automatic transmission tail shaft. Fit perfectly and that seal held up for forty thousand miles. Still no leaks even though the bike sits all Winter.
The "super nut" Fritz hd refers to also has a shaft seal inside the nut so I added that to the repair at about 15,000 mi. just for insurance. No drips, no more oil soaked white wall rear tire or oily rear rim and chain guard as the trans output shaft literally has three shaft seals. If it's apart to put a seal in TRIPLE IT.
Thanks, appreciate it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts