Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i installed an 80 spoke wheel on my 2003 dyna lowrider. stock brake caliper is hitting the spokes. i tried machining the inside edge of caliper to get clearance slowly removing material, but could not get enough clearance before cutting into sealed cavity. so, i need a thinner caliper for my application. does any body know specs on performance machine calipers. hoping to find one that will fit my new wheel?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
front.
the stock wheel was a 40 spoke, the additional 40 spokes on the new wheel are laced on the outside edge of the hub, so the clearance was decreased by at least an 1/8th inch because of that.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes i think i can return the wheel, but it looks really good. and i am willing to get new caliper if i can find one that works

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
yes i think i can return the wheel, but it looks really good. and i am willing to get new caliper if i can find one that works
IMO. You got a wrong wheel for the application.
I did edit my post to contain a link for an 80 spoke that does list your bike. Not sure if you saw it.

PM calipers are about as good as they get. Would love to eventually put them on mine. Front and rear.
But to throw money at something because you originally got a wrong part for your application is not the best way to go.
That is my 2 cents. I`ll take my pennies change now. :laugh

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
plus my caliper is no good anymore so i need a new one anyways!!
Sort of figured that about the caliper. Not a lot of meat on them to start with.
And being a high pressure system you sure do not want to alter them much.

I would start with a rim that calls out your bike as a model it does fit. Example in link for Paughco I posted in a previous thread.

Then instead of taking a chance of throwing more cash at the problem you then have the option of a new/used OEM caliper that can reasonably easily be rebuilt.
And still less then PM. But if you have a fat wallet. Go for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts