Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just discovered my rear axle has a 24mm nut. The castle nut on the other side is 1". Is this really a Harley axle with a metric nut on it or did someone substitute something metric? This is an AMF bike but there's not another metric nut anywhere on it...

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Did you try a 15/16 Wrench on it? (15/16 = 0.9375", 24 mm = 0.9449" or 0.0074" difference)

Reactions: Kainam

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Did you try a 15/16 Wrench on it? (15/16 = 0.9375", 24 mm = 0.9449" or 0.0074" difference)
Someday maybe, jus' maybe, I will read the next post before I convert mm to in. Thanks 1/2 Ton. :mad:

·
Retired citizen
23,397 Posts
The only metric on a ' 72 FXR Shovel that I'm aware of would be the front forks, Showa ... I think ?
I meant '82 FXR !

Reactions: JRBv3

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did. The SAE works, of course, but there's wobble in it. I couldn't believe it. 24mm is dead nuts on. It's definitely a metric nut. With nuts that big a few different sizes work but there's only one that fits without any clearance, the 24mm one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, technically, I think Harley bought them back out in 81 but everything on my bike has AMF all over it. The key, books, etc. The reason I figured this out is I was lining up the rear wheel. I use a 5/8 deep well on the swing arm nut and a 1" on the axle. Measure the distance between the center marks and make same both sides. The 1" nut had wobble in it. What the Hell? 15/16". Same thing. What's going on here? No way. Sure as shit, 24 mm dead on zero wobble. Who polluted my bike with this shit?! I know it was that Buell fellow. If this axle came from Harley, I'm blaming him.

·
Retired citizen
23,397 Posts
Axle # 41110-79A and nut # 7986, all SAE ! RonniesPartsFinder

Reactions: JRBv3 and Kainam

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can still get the axle from HD so I bought one. I'll know soon enough when it arrives. I wonder what in the Hell that axle is actually from. I know where it's going next if the one from HD is SAE...

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I did. The SAE works, of course, but there's wobble in it. I couldn't believe it. 24mm is dead nuts on. It's definitely a metric nut. With nuts that big a few different sizes work but there's only one that fits without any clearance, the 24mm one.
Do the math. 15/16 is 7 1/2 thousands of an inch SMALLER than 24 mm. Maybe time for a quality wrench set. Just sayin'

Reactions: Kainam

·
Registered
39,579 Posts
You're right. My dad had an 82 Roadster, and I could have sworn it said AMF on the tank badge. I stand corrected.

Reactions: Thunder~Struck

·
Wayward Son
23,320 Posts
The tribal sort of wings design definitely harkens back AMF graphics.
Would not doubt it is the same stencil/pattern with the AMF removed.

I had not realized my 83 FXWG was only two years removed from the buyout.

·
Retired citizen
23,397 Posts
You can still get the axle from HD so I bought one. I'll know soon enough when it arrives. I wonder what in the Hell that axle is actually from. I know where it's going next if the one from HD is SAE...
That new axle deserves a new nut. I'm guessing that 24mm wrench fits the new nut too.
I've found a lotta cross fits between metric and SAE spec wrenches, 13mm and 1/2" is a good one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts