Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First noticed that the headlight isn't working, both blinker indicators are lit up, fuel gage shows its full when it's not, and most gauges aren't working right, but it runs fine. Help me figure out what the problem is plz!!!

·
Registered
25,630 Posts
I had similar symptoms on my 89 FLHTC, gauges acting weird, tach red lining .....
... I ended up replacing the turn signal module with one from Badlands.

But it could also be old wires with chewed insulation (mice) or just brittle from age.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had similar symptoms on my 89 FLHTC, gauges acting weird, tach red lining .....
... I ended up replacing the turn signal module with one from Badlands.

But it could also be old wires with chewed insulation (mice) or just brittle from age.
Unfortunately that didn't work. Not sure what my next step will be? Weirdly the headlight flickers on then back off as I try to start it...

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
First Electrical Law of HD:
What is the condition of the BATTERY? MUST HAVE 12.3 vdc minimum across the terminals BEFORE troubleshooting anything electrical.

What has been done to the bike since the last time everything worked? (especially note: Handlebar swap, adjustment, or hand controls removal and or adjustment). All of these are recipe's for pinched wires! ) Has any lighting changes been made? Has the fairing been removed recently?

In other words, troubleshooting 101: When did it last work, what changed... GO THERE!

If it has been out of service for an extended period:
This sounds like a bad ground wire or a burned contact.
I would start at the Headlight connector. Just because the lamp is in-opp.. (The Bulb may have a broken filament) inspect to verify it is not burned, or a loose connection (The wire tabs, not necessarily the click connector).

From there, jump to the battery, verify both connections are clean and tight, now to the starter for the same (Clean and tight connections)..

The fuse block is next: pull each fuse one at a time and check with a ohm meter that they have continuity.

Go slowly through the electric troubleshooting process.. Know how and use a good VOM. A HD Factory service manual is your best friend!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First Electrical Law of HD:
What is the condition of the BATTERY? MUST HAVE 12.3 vdc minimum across the terminals BEFORE troubleshooting anything electrical.

What has been done to the bike since the last time everything worked? (especially note: Handlebar swap, adjustment, or hand controls removal and or adjustment). All of these are recipe's for pinched wires! ) Has any lighting changes been made? Has the fairing been removed recently?

In other words, troubleshooting 101: When did it last work, what changed... GO THERE!

If it has been out of service for an extended period:
This sounds like a bad ground wire or a burned contact.
I would start at the Headlight connector. Just because the lamp is in-opp.. (The Bulb may have a broken filament) inspect to verify it is not burned, or a loose connection (The wire tabs, not necessarily the click connector).

From there, jump to the battery, verify both connections are clean and tight, now to the starter for the same (Clean and tight connections)..

The fuse block is next: pull each fuse one at a time and check with a ohm meter that they have continuity.

Go slowly through the electric troubleshooting process.. Know how and use a good VOM. A HD Factory service manual is your best friend!
Thanks for the advice brother. The weird thing is that nothing was done to make this happen. I rode to a brother's house shut it off, stayed there for a couple of hours, then when I got back on it to ride home all of this started. Have no clue as to what it is cause she still runs great...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts