Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I just noticed my 03 TC is making like a swishing noise that seems to becoming from both cylinders. changed oil today 20w/50 synthetic. didn't seem to make that much of a difference. any thoughts? will be adding an oil pressure gauge next week, don't wanna blow it up before then, but I do have a fender to fender warranty from the MoCo. any thoughts?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check plugs

·
Retired citizen
23,670 Posts
That sound might be coming from the cam cover, maybe cam chain tensioners.
How many miles on your bike ? Tensioners ever been checked ?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
31k on bike....don't know if previous owner had em checked, but I've got a 3yr fender to fender warranty from the MoCo, so it's going in when I get home next week.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Cam tensioners. That's the sound of metal on metal with the tensioner holder dragging on the chain.

·
On the loose
8,712 Posts
Good thing you have the warranty, 31K on an 88 . . .. cam tensioners is a good bet.

·
Registered
177 Posts
MY 88 made it to 34 and change....When I put the gear drive cams in the only thing holding the rear tensioner together was the tension from the spring pushing it on the chain...As soon as it was lifted off the chain it fell apart....

But that doesn't sound like the sound you describe, it's like Dave said metal on metal. Can you let the bike idle and get you ear really close to the motor and try and figure out the general area the sound is coming from?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I swear its coming from both cyls. On the road leaving Jersey now...will be home Thurs. and in to Harley she goes. will just have to ride the 99 this coming weekend

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
photo of the newbie...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts