Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2010 Dyna Streetbob
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 iron 883, will it be enough power to ride 2 people without worrying about losing its pickup power???

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
Most of us Harley riders that buy any HD model find it's not enough power and will spend lots more to get it. The biggest issue with the 883 or 1200 Sporty's (2 up) will be comfort.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
2009 iron 883, will it be enough power to ride 2 people without worrying about losing its pickup power???
I honestly feel that an 883 TODAY, has more power then a 1000cc sporty did in the 70's or even in the late 80's.

Fact: It's an 883. It's not a touring bike or a 1200 or 1340 or 1450..... It's also gonna be small and cramped with two people unless you're both short. Not to mention, I believe the 2-up seat is something you'll have to buy, as it only comes with a solo seat.

It'll carry two people, but the rear shocks are going to work really hard and you'll probably downshift on hills. People have ridden worse, farther and with more effort.:thumb

·
2010 Dyna Streetbob
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am 6 foot tall but i had foreward controls installed, she is only 5.5, crank the preload all the way up on the rear springs and it should be ok? total combined weight is about 310-320 lbs

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Weve done alright for short trips on a 1200 with the sundowner touring seat. Max shock setting was too stiff. Still not a luxury situation. Hate to do it on a cross country deal. Probably add a sissy bar and pad to keep your passenger on and feeling safe.

Just realized that wife riding sportser ultimately got me the Ultra classic as she wanted more comforts at home and a cusshy seat

·
2010 Dyna Streetbob
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wont be doing any long long trips, maybe 100 miles or so, i was planning on getting a sissy bar for her anyways. just wanted to make sure its not going to turn into a snail with both of us on there.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
wont be doing any long long trips, maybe 100 miles or so......
100 miles is doable, but understand this: I'm 6'1" tall. I always tell people that doing 100 miles on a Big Twin is a nice ride, but do 100 miles on a sporty and you know it......

It's a fun, short trip bike and it's TOLORABLE with two people.

If that's all you can afford right now, then do it. By all means, having a sore ass fropm widing a sporty is far better (To me at least) then buying a bigger Japanese bike, and WISHING you really bought that Harley. :thumb

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
100 miles is doable, but understand this: I'm 6'1" tall. I always tell people that doing 100 miles on a Big Twin is a nice ride, but do 100 miles on a sporty and you know it......

It's a fun, short trip bike and it's TOLORABLE with two people.

If that's all you can afford right now, then do it. By all means, having a sore ass fropm widing a sporty is far better (To me at least) then buying a bigger Japanese bike, and WISHING you really bought that Harley. :thumb
Amen! and the 883 still has the best gas mileage I believe. Sure recomend the sundowner seat,, your wife will thank you for it after she sits the regular two up seat (if thats standard or an option now) with that little tongue hanging out for a passenger.
Consider your tax incentive for a 2009 vehicle purcahse too.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Don't forget they have that full MSRP deal going too.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have had 2 Sportsters. My wife loves to ride as much as I do, but not on the Sportster. It is really a one person bike. It's like riding 6 people in a Volkswagen. It can be done, but you will sacrifice some comfort.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts