Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody used the 30t or the 32t front belt pulley on a 883 .I'm trying to figure out which one to buy please help.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish? Either one will reduce rpm at any given speed, and reduce acceleration as well.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
If you are thinking of using either one on a stock, or near stock 883, beware they make it easy to lug the engine. Pulling off from a dead stop, on any grade gets tricky, requiring a lot of clutch slip.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 883 is stock in bore but its cammed and have a tuneable ignition and hyper charger air cleaner... When I ride in a pack at 80-90 mph my rpm is very high.I'm trying to decide which sprocket is right for me

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
From my experience, cruising at 80-90 is gonna have any sporty on the high end of the rpm range. If it was me, I would go with a 29 tooth pulley

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Decide how much of your time is spent at 80-90 mph, then how much is spent at lower speeds, such as how much time do you spend around town and such. I think, if you go bigger than 29-30 you'll be sorry, because of the loss of lower speed usefulness.
Even tough you have "cammed" your engine,(you don't say which cams), most cams add power at the higher RPM range and you could be gearing down below the power peak, defeating your objective. Make sure you keep the stock cog, in case you want to go back to it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'm going with the 30T and I'm using an Andrews grind 4 with a Daytona twin tech programmable ignition and hyper charger air cleaner.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Andrews N4 is for stock or modified applications, have a slightly higher idle speed, can be used w/ stock hydraulic lifters and springs, and have 2500 - 6000 rpm range

A S/E ignition would have let you run up to 7000 rpm's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts