Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.. visited my sister and her hubby for Christmas. Her hubby has a '06 883.
He bought a set of HD slip-ons and a Screamin' Eagle air cleaner,and forward controls for it. The parts guy said "here,you'll need this" and handed him a jet.
I thought it was a main jet,but when we removed the old one it doesn't even look close to the new one.
We didn't remove the carb,so maybe its an air/fuel mixture jet?
any ideas?
The bike runs really strong with the pipes and stock air cleaner,but he wants that low restriction air cleaner on and I know a jet needs to be changed.
TIA

·
Registered
188 Posts
you dropped the phloat bowl right? the jet you removed should have a number on it, probably a 42 if it was the slow jet. is there a number on the jet he gave you? what was it?

if i remember correctly the slow jet is towards the back of the carb, and the main jet is towards the phront. lowered number is the slow, and higher number is the main.

i'd love to be able to tell you to just do the SE AC, and not worry about jets, but i can't. i'd worry about it. you could try it phor a while, and check the plugz, but odds are it will be lean.

see if this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses.. Yes we dropped the bowl but did not remove the carb from the manifold..with a screw driver I could feel what seemed to be another jet behind the float < the screw driver fit into a slot but because the carb is still mounted there was no way to determine if its a jet or not> i'll email him and ask him to read the number on the the jet.
Looking at the schematic sent..it kinda looks like the "slow jet"

·
Registered
188 Posts
i was able to get the jets out by dropping the bowl, and then using one of the small jewelers screwdrivers. Most instructions tell you to completely remove to carb, but it can be done otherwise.

the number on the jets will tell you which one you've got.

sorry, it's been a little while since i've worked on a sporty, so i don't remember the exact sizes.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hope you fellas don't mind me butting in but, I'm glad to see the help topics are starting to roll. Now we're (the forum) getting somewhere!:dance

·
Registered
13 Posts
help!

i was able to get the jets out by dropping the bowl, and then using one of the small jewelers screwdrivers. Most instructions tell you to completely remove to carb, but it can be done otherwise.

the number on the jets will tell you which one you've got.

sorry, it's been a little while since i've worked on a sporty, so i don't remember the exact sizes.
On the older models, #165 main on 883, bumped to 1200 and went with #180 and #45 slow seemed about the best. At least that's what I used 'till I Mikunied. Just FYI.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts