Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I bought an 883 Iron in August of 2014. I had not ridden a motorcycle in almost 30 years. I got my license and tried to go everywhere I could, but had challenges on the freeway and highways when reaching 55+ mph. The Iron would vibrate a lot and felt like it was "straining".

I recently test drove a Street Bob. Even though it was cold and I was exposed in my mesh jacket, I took it on the freeway and it was beautiful! None of the vibrations of my 883. I could also feel the raw power of the bigger engine and 6 speed transmission. I also test drove a Softail Slim, but liked the ride of the Street Bob better. I bought a denim-black Street Bob and love it. Whenever I ride, I purposely try and find a freeway.

My questions are:

1. If I had done an 883 to 1200 conversion, what differences could I have expected?

2. If I had gotten a 1200 sporty right off the bat, would that have made a difference?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Vincent1966

·
Registered
39,558 Posts
The Dyna Street Bob has a rubber mounted motor to isolate the vibrations.

Similarly, the Softail has a counterbalanced "B" motor to also isolate vibrations.

1) You would have more power obviously, but the gearing would still make it a high revving motor at highway speeds unless you changed the front drive sprocket to a 38 tooth 1200 primary sprocket vs the 883's 34 tooth front primary sprocket.

2) By going with a 1200 off the bat, your RPMs at highway speed would have dropped by ~600 RPM

Of course, with a BigTwin, the RPM drop at highway speed is more than double than the difference between 883 and 1200.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Kainam said it all. And very well

Sounds like you have found what you can love so just ride. The big engines are fantastic. IMO

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like you have found what you can love so just ride.
MADMACK, I think I have. Have not rode it much, but I am looking forward to the ride. :biking:

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
There have been a lot of disappointed sporty riders once they experience a big Harley. I love a sportster, but not on the highway.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
It also depends on the year your sporty was. If it was pre 2004 it was rigid mounted; which means a lot more vibrations. I have a 1200c and ride my dad's road king regularly but enjoy my sporty more. It's more nimble and I am totally comfortable with it on the highway. Ultimately it depends on your preference.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
39,558 Posts
It also depends on the year your sporty was. If it was pre 2004 it was rigid mounted; which means a lot more vibrations.
His would have been post 2004, being a 883 Iron... but good point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts