Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I picked up an 89 heritage softail classic over winter. I out about 140 miles on it so far. Today I was out for a putt to the local ice cream joint. And we'll we went to leave I flipped the kill switch to run and it the start button. The starter engaged but it wouldn't turn. It didn't "free wheel" like a bad bendix (I dealt with that on my shovelhead) It engaged bit that was it. Almost like a poor charged battery. I released the button quickly. And hit it again and it fired right up. So we ended up back home. Bike ran fine. Get home didn't shut it off til it was in the garage. Thought maybe the ignition got hot. Parked it. Cooked and ate dinner then walked outside after it had time to cool down. Went thru the starting process and it did the same thing. I've only had the bike since February but it's never done this to me before. Do you guys have any comments or suggestions as to what to check? I haven't got a chance to play with it yet. Starter? Loose wire? Switch going bad? Thanks in advanced for the help.

·
Just Ride
3,256 Posts
Have the battery load tested. Next would be the solenoid, rebuild or replace. You could just put a slam button on it. Bypasses the electrical part of solenoid.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Hey guys,
I picked up an 89 heritage softail classic over winter. I out about 140 miles on it so far. Today I was out for a putt to the local ice cream joint. And we'll we went to leave I flipped the kill switch to run and it the start button. The starter engaged but it wouldn't turn. It didn't "free wheel" like a bad bendix (I dealt with that on my shovelhead) It engaged bit that was it. Almost like a poor charged battery. I released the button quickly. And hit it again and it fired right up. So we ended up back home. Bike ran fine. Get home didn't shut it off til it was in the garage. Thought maybe the ignition got hot. Parked it. Cooked and ate dinner then walked outside after it had time to cool down. Went thru the starting process and it did the same thing. I've only had the bike since February but it's never done this to me before. Do you guys have any comments or suggestions as to what to check? I haven't got a chance to play with it yet. Starter? Loose wire? Switch going bad? Thanks in advanced for the help.
Load test your battery and clean and retighten your cables . Make sure to clean and retighten the ground cable at the point it bolts to the bike . :)

·
Just Ride
3,256 Posts
Do you think it could be the solenoid getting hot? Or the starter?
Neither. Solenoid internals corrosion, possible starter drive. It ain't easy troubleshooting via forum.

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
I had a similar issues on my '06 FLHTCUI... For me at least it was the negative battery cable came loose... twice... I installed some lock washers under the screws that hold the battery cables to the battery and I have not had an issue since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts