Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first year HD owner. Learning. have a great 1993 FXDL, wont start. tried to jump & nope.
sat for a couple weeks and through a storm (under a cover)
tried to fire, too weak & white smoke from under seat.
Opened seat, tried to fire, saw sparking on negative connection. loosened, wiped wire ends, thightned.
Attempt to fire, too weak.
Used a rechargeable battery pack, bike tries to fire not enough to turn over. Overheats battery pack, fail 3x.
Jumper cable to truck battery, bike tries to fire, but not enough to turn over. (red and black on truck, red on bike battery red connecter, black to metal)

I assume its a simple cheap fuse or inexpensive wire, so trying to figure it out myself.
Its possible I am In idiot newb and simply jumping it wrong. Battery was new 2 months ago.

Any guesses, what she needs to fire up?

not sure about this open end wire? Black and red come off the battery & come together connected to nothing. do we think this looks correct?

not sure what this soft rectangular black box is that connects to a black wire. what is that?

I have heard you can jump start, bypassing the battery and connecting the red cable directly to your starter underneath the bike, not sure if that works on this model, couldn't find any spot that looked correct to connect a cable.

Thanks for the help.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive exterior Automotive lighting
Hand Finger Electrical wiring Gas Electronic engineering
Electrical wiring Cable Motor vehicle Electrical supply Gas

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: Pretty sure I found the way to bypass the battery and jump start w/o removing the seat. found a rubber tab that lifted up above what I think is the starter, that exposed what looked like a connection point. Connected red there, and had plenty of power to click-click-click and make several weak attempts to fire that were not enough to turnover the engine.

So I am thinking my next move may be to replace the Starter Relay and see if that resolves the problem. Ya think?

Or learn how to Rolling Start the bike so I can ride.

·
Registered
654 Posts
If your battery is dead jumping is not likely to work. You need to charge it fully to do any diagnostics. The wire that is not connected to anything is the connector for a trickle charger / battery maintainer. You might want to pick one up.
If you reconnect your jumper cables and leave them hooked up for a couple hours with the boost vehicle NOT running you might get enough charge to start the bike. First thing is to clean (wire brush) battery terminals and both ends of both cables. Take the battery out and while it's charging you can clean up the cable ends.

Sent from the secret underground bunker

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Norm. I have an update and its good news. Fired up and rode for 90 mins. Parked and fired again.

Here is what I did, but not sure why it worked. I thought, maybe the bike has a kill on the kickstand and won't start w the kick down. So ill try to jump again, using the starter bypass, but with the bike upright off the kick. 2nd though, use the battery pack to jump, not the truck. Boom, it worked. Twice, cause i didn't unlock my fork so I had to pull my keys.

When i got back from my ride and test fired my bike, kick was down. so that wasn't the problem.

mysteries...

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Just for fyi, no kickstand switch on US bikes. Dyna's have a two piece negative cable. One from battery to frame lug joint, then other to primary case (its because of the rubber mount drivetrain). Trace the wire from batt to frame connection, they sometimes loosen or rust. Even if that is not your problem, it's worth checking and cleaning. Good job on persevering and getting it running.

·
Registered
654 Posts
You really haven't given enough info for us to know what has or has not been done. Did you do as suggested and clean up the battery connections? Did you actually take then apart and sand / wire brush them to bright bare metal? If not you will probably find out how hard it is to push a Harley!
Go to your local Harbor Freight or WalMart and get a volt meter. Read the instructions! Check your battery voltage while not running, and then while running. Come back and tell us what you found.

Sent from the secret underground bunker

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Pull the battery and take it to an auto parts store, have them load test it.

If it is over 3 years old, just get a new battery.

Clean the connection points of both battery cables (both ends of the cables).

Unplug the starter relay, clean the terminals on the relay and inside the connector.

Unplug the small wire on the starter solenoid, clean the wire end and the terminal on the solenoid.

The connector you show in the pic is for a battery tender, not for jump starting the bike.

Stop screwing around trying to jump start the bike, that is not troubleshooting, it is asking for problems...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts