Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at 883 Sportys for my GF and being relativley new to Harleys (but not MC's in general) I would like to know some of the main differences in Sportys over the years.

Her target price is 4k...but able to go up to 5k for the right bike. But to stay somewhat knowledgeable about what we are looking at I thought I'd "ask the experts" here.

Things to look out for.
Are vibrations "bad" on years where the engine isn't isolated from the frame. I understand sometime in the 2000's they rubber mounted the engine.

·
Registered
40,785 Posts
They went to rubber mounted motors in '04

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a "huge" diff in ride quality from isolated to non-isolated engines?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Is there a "huge" diff in ride quality from isolated to non-isolated engines?
There is regarding vibration at highway speeds, IMHO. A 1995 is a 15 year old production date, and you're better off with a newer model, for a few dollars more.

I see 2002-2004's for $4500. (883). For a grand more, you can get a 1200cc sporty.

Most 2006 and older are Carbed.

95 and up are all belt drive.

Age is age.

If I could buy a 95 for $3500, or a 2003 for $4500, I'd spend the extra coin.

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
my lil bro just bought a 2005 883C for $5000, beautiful shape, low miles. Was worth the money, but if you can hold out for a bit, a 1200 will come along for the same money
Don't get me wrong, the 883 is a nice bike, and his is tip top shape, didn't look like it had ever been ridden at all, but you can still find 1200's for about the same jack

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Id guess the 1200 will get along better with what your riding in your kartouche. 4.5 gallon tank would get you to the same gas fillup.
I know alot or XL operators will tell ya your GF is better off with a softail. Sporsters feel very flighty at Highway speeds compared to other models.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts