Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a '95 Fatboy that I bought new. It's always been well maintained and always kept the engine oil changed with HD brand engine oil. I just had about $1855 worth or work done to my primary and tranny since when I moved I had to have someone other than a dealership do some work and they used an after market bearing which caused a lot of issues. Now the dealership that just got done doing the primary and tranny work to fix the other mechanics issues is trying to tell me the noise that I'm hearing now is caused by the roller bearings being shot. I only rode the bike about 150 miles before sending it back to the dealership. I've never heard anyone with an evo engine having these replaced but the dealership is telling me it's one of the biggest reasons for evo engine being ruined. Does anyone know anything about these needing replaced every 30 to 40k miles? I just find it hard to believe that they test rode this bike for the 80 miles on the dyno and another 50 miles on the road and them not notice these were bad. When I rode a block away I was already hearing the noise.

·
Retired citizen
23,366 Posts
Are you sure the dealer isn't talking about the lifter needle bearings. Common for the EVO lifters needing replacement in 30 - 40k.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I went over to the dealership today and yes it was the lifter needle bearings that they were talking about. They cut the lifter to show me but only 2 were slightly out of spec. I believe the spec on those are like 1 1000's and the two that were worn barely had any play in them at all. I just find it hard to believe that the noise that I'm hearing, (which sounds like two pieces of metal slapping together), that wasn't there before they worked on the primary and trans, is being caused by those bearings being bad. I had only rode about 150 miles since getting it back last week but when they took the bike back they said it was so bad that they were afraid to test ride it any further than their lot because of them feeling that those bearings were the cause. I know guys that don't take as good of care of their bikes as I do mine and put 100k on an evo without having those bearings replaced. I just kinda feel like they're trying to find something to charge me for just to cover up their mistake. I believe something in that primary or trans is making the noise and had nothing to do with those bearings. They also said, as a side note that they were going to readjust my clutch while they had the bike. I don't see why they would need to readjust a clutch that they just put back together last week, unless something wasn't done correctly the first time. Thanks for the info though, it's good to know that is a common problem with the evo engine.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
VERY common cam bearing issues with those, and T/C engines.
Also, a Moco bulletin was issed that states to "inspect and/or replace" those Evo lifters at 25,000.
Scott

·
Retired citizen
23,366 Posts
Christina, if in doubt get a second professional opinion.
Trouble shooting noise issues in a forum is most difficult to do. At best it's a guess based on the supplied information.

·
nitro freak
1,264 Posts
no reason to replace the lifters,just replace the rollers.about 100.00,parts & labor to replace all 4

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
As Kirby has mentioned, the roller is the source of the issues in that area.
We've been fixtured to replace those Evo rollers, as well as Shovel and Iron XL's, and have done so for yeeeeears now, but without the tooling, or experience, the average guy might be better served just installing a new set.:)
Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts