Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Loaned my '95 Road King to my son to take a 3,000 mile trip -- bike has been fine, not a lot of miles (around 11,000). Bike performed great for the first 2/3 rds of the trip, but then started some engine problems that seem to be temperature related -- would run great at first, but as time went on would start to give indications like it was starving for gas. Through numerous phone calls with my son, we methodically at different stops had the carburetor checked (cleaned, set, new fuel line, and valve and tank strainer inspected -- all OK), replaced the sensor, new spark plugs, had the coil and plug wires replaced, and installed a new ignition module. He limped home -- still have the same problem. Don't think the problem can be gas related. I'm thinking it must be an electrical problem with the wiring harness -- grounding, broken wire, etc -- but can't explain the temperature relationship to the problem -- it still starts right up and runs fine until it gets warmed up. I've thought of a lot of things to try (running a hot wire to the coil, etc.) to try to isolate it, but thought I'd ask if anyone has had similiar problems or has any input. I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks, Stan

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Might double check the Carb, By sensor do you mean the Crank position sensor.
(Really not faniliar with what in a 95)

PS air filter pretty clean?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sensor I'm refering to is the ignition sensor (cam position sensor) and the air filter was replaced in this ordeal -- screaming eagle -- so have good air flow. Appreciate any futher comments you have.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
If it's coughing and gagging, and running lean, it's a fuel condition. Has anyone checked for a leaking (vacuum) diaphram on the petcock, or an interupted vacuum flow via the line?

That can cause a lean condition at speed....

If the cam sensor and module were replaced, the only other issue may be a coil, but that doesn't cause a lean condition, just usually the popping and such when hot.

Are the plugs white???

If they are, it's a lack-O-fuel issue.

If they're black, it's likely ignition.

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
Test the charging system just to make sure it's not a voltage issue then swap out the 2 relays under the seat , the lighting and ignition relays , just switch them with each other . You can also test the VOES to make sure it's not causing a problem .
Jumping the coil to B+ will bypass the entire electrical system , if you think that is faulty , and would elliminate either the electrical system or the fuel system .
Pull up the dash assy. and look at the bottom of the ignition switch , you'll be looking for green in the little slots on the back of the switch . If there's green in there then it's corroded , it can be disassembled and cleaned .

·
Registered
7 Posts
if it is stock check the vacuum line running from the petcock to the voes to the carb. if there is any breaks in this system it will not get enough gas or the timing will not advance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's the status to date: Decided to put it up on a stand and really go through it -- checked the voes -- comes in right at the correct vaccum and the line from the carb is good. Wanted to check the timing that the guy who replaced the sensor had it on and discovered my timing light has a problem -- need to get another one. Ordering a new stage 1 kit for the carb -- just to be on the safe side -- will check vacuum diaphram and everything else while in there. So while these items are coming, I'll do some checking of the wiring harness and get a line to the coil so that I can get voltage directly to it -- a step in eliminting items -- checking/changing breakers and relalys. Looks like it is going to stay on the stand for now -- will make a comment of the end results of all of this, but it may take a little while. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
295 Posts
the last 2 trips up north ive come home and ive had water in the fuel not sure how mutch it will do the same thing your saying 1 drop of water will play havic in a carb

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bike is back on the road -- after a lot of miles and tweaking here and there, I'm putting and "APPROVED" stamp on it. While waiting for carb jetting kit and a new timing light (timing was off quite a bit), did a lot of checks on the wiring harness (there are a lot of procedure checks in the service manual) -- found no problems there (really checked hard for a broken wire or bad plug connection). Put new intake manifold gaskets on, did a carb rejetting with the new kit, said a small prayer and it started right up! Have the idle jet set at 2 1/8 to 2 1/4 turns -- been playing between there and 2 1/2 turns -- seems to accelerate better at 2 1/2 -- still working on some very slight popping on full throttle closed deacceleration from high speed, but not a real problem -- if I hold just a touch of throttle in it I get no popping -- was told to check the exhausts gaskets -- replaced them with new SE ones -- old ones were seated fine. Anyway, bottom line, bike runs great now, but can't put my finger on what the problem was -- I feel it must have been in the carb somehow, but with the new jetting, etc. it runs great. Thanks for all your comments, Stan

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
Now this is nice ... Harleypops didn't forget the forum .
Good for you Stan !

2 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Loaned my '95 Road King to my son to take a 3,000 mile trip -- bike has been fine, not a lot of miles (around 11,000). Bike performed great for the first 2/3 rds of the trip, but then started some engine problems that seem to be temperature related -- would run great at first, but as time went on would start to give indications like it was starving for gas. Through numerous phone calls with my son, we methodically at different stops had the carburetor checked (cleaned, set, new fuel line, and valve and tank strainer inspected -- all OK), replaced the sensor, new spark plugs, had the coil and plug wires replaced, and installed a new ignition module. He limped home -- still have the same problem. Don't think the problem can be gas related. I'm thinking it must be an electrical problem with the wiring harness -- grounding, broken wire, etc -- but can't explain the temperature relationship to the problem -- it still starts right up and runs fine until it gets warmed up. I've thought of a lot of things to try (running a hot wire to the coil, etc.) to try to isolate it, but thought I'd ask if anyone has had similiar problems or has any input. I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks, Stan
Check the tank vent tube for blockage

·
Just Ride
3,735 Posts
He probably did 12 years ago. Think he made it. Post #10 told him the same thing in September 2009.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts