Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I recently had an issue on my bike where the engine sprocket nut loosened up and came off and the drive pulley nut loosened and the pulley slipped off and the spline and stripped itself. I fixed those 2 issues and it ran great for one day. I took it out for a ride, riding fine, stopped for gas and took off. It shifted fine into first and second, then just wont shift into third. With the bike running or not, same issue. Took the primary off and everything looks ok. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

·
Retired citizen
23,203 Posts
Try doing a search in the Sportster section, there's been several threads about Sporty shifting issues and fixes for the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
None of the searches brought back the solution for me, I tried.. I have the clutch and primary drive sprocket off, the shift shaft is off as well. Should you be able to rotate through all gears by turning the shift drum manuals?

·
Retired citizen
23,203 Posts
None of the searches brought back the solution for me, I tried.. I have the clutch and primary drive sprocket off, the shift shaft is off as well. Should you be able to rotate through all gears by turning the shift drum manuals?
Yes, while also rotating the rear wheel with the spark plugs out. The trans gear set needs to be moving a bit for the shift forks to drop into place.
PM replied to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Figured out the problem. When the engine nut loosened up, the rotor must have slipped a little and dropped on the stator, chunks of magnet broke off. The stator is surprisingly fine, but I am getting a new rotor. Thankfully the best case scenario which I was dreaming about was the case with the shifting problem. After removing the tranny, I found a little piece of magnet stuck to the shift drum preventing the shift fork from engaging third. I am quite happy that nothing else happened to the tranny. The forks looks in good condition along with the drum and all the gears. Those are some strong magnets to have stuck to that drum and not break loose and fall off. Thanks for the guidance and help.

·
Retired citizen
23,203 Posts
Hmmmm, "the engine nut loosened up", now that's new info !!! Glad you got the problem figured out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts