Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to start the bike after only 2 weeks at most of sitting. Thought battery was

culprit. Tried to start but not enough to crank. Starter clicked like it was trying to engage

but couldn't budge. Tried jumping it but same. Checked loose or corroded connections. All

good. Charged battery still nothing. Checked starter relay and even bought one in case and

still same clicking like its trying to engage but sounds like it just can't turn it over like not

enough power. at this point took off starter did a bench test. Starter turns and engages.

Couldn't figure anything else out so decided to buy another starter thinking maybe

something's wrong with the original. Replaced the starter and still same thing. Thought

maybe pull spark plugs to check if engine is seized bike rolls and can hear compression.

One thing I have noticed is that when in 1st gear and clutch pulled bike should roll as long

as I'm squeezing clutch however it won't roll in 1st gear with clutch squeezed so I'm lost.

Any help will be grateful.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Clutch plates are stuck, that's why it won't roll.Common after sitting. AS to starting, even though you've checked, either a bad connection, or a bad battery. Have battery load tested, if good, re-check all connections. Remove battery cables, inspect the cable ends, clean terminals and ground, reconnect. Remember, 90% of no-start conditions are one of two things. Bad/discharged battery, or bad connections.

·
Registered
39,514 Posts
Check both ends of the cables, not just the end that gets hooked up to the battery.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
Also when checking the cables, check to make sure the cables are good. I had a similar problem once and it was a cable that looked normal that was bad. Could not supply current needed when trying to start bike but would run lights. Tough one to find.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts